Yeddy exempted from appearing before court
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Friday exempted Yeddyurappa and his family members from appearing before the Lokayukta court in pursuance of the summons issued to them in connection with alleged irregularities in awarding of contracts for the Upper Bhadra Project.
Justice H N Nagamohan Das also exempted Yeddyurappa`s two sons B Y Raghavendra and B Y Vijayendra, his son-in-law R N Sohan Kumar, Sahyadhrai Healthcare, the beneficiary of the alleged kickbacks and Naveen Shetty of R N S Developers who were awarded the UBP contract from appearing before the Lokayukta court on September 25.
Former Advocate General Ashok Haranahally representing Yeddyurappa submitted that the Lokayukta court had taken cognisance of the matter despite the Lokayukta police submitting a "B" report in the case, absolving the accused.
On May 26, the Lokayukta Court had rejected the report filed by the Lokayukta police in the case and the court had directed the Lokayukta police to probe the allegations against Yeddyurappa, Dhavalagiri Properties (a firm in which his two sons and son-in-la are the proprietors), Sahyadri Healthcare and Murdeshwar Enterprises and submit its report.
Hearing a criminal petition today filed by Yeddyurappa and Dhavalagiri Properties seeking quashing of the September 4 order of issuance of summons, the judge ordered issue of notices to JDS spokesperson Y S V Dutta and Lokayukta police.
Dutta in his complaint in the Lokayukta court had alleged that Yeddyurappa had received a Rs 16-crore kickback for awarding the contract for second stage of the Upper Bhadra irrigation project to RNS Infrastructure Limited and Jyothi Limited though the joint venture firm was the highest bidder.
On September 4, the Lokayukta court had also ordered issuance of summons to Yeddyurappa in alleged illegal denotification of lands at Bhadravathi in Shimoga district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan