Yeddy seeks cancellation of MLAs` foreign tour
Bangalore: The BJP-led Karnataka government`s move to send around 100 MLAs abroad on `study tour` has come under flak from party strongman in the state, B S Yeddyurappa, who demanded that the programme be cancelled in view of severe drought conditions prevailing in large parts of the state.
"Legislators should desist from undertaking study tour to foreign countries when the state is reeling under severe drought. Their absence will hit drought relief works since they are ex-officio chairmen of the taluk-level task force that oversees the works," the former chief minister told reporters here.
Speaker K G Bopaiah had recently announced that members of five legislature committees numbering around 20 each, accompanied by 15 officials, would be going on a study tour to Russia, South America and Scandinavian countries during September and October. The tour was expected to cost the state exchequer over Rs eight crore.
The Opposition parties had come down heavily on the government for the proposed foreign tour in view of the drought conditions.
On July 25, a PIL was filed in the Karnataka High Court praying for a direction to the government to drop the proposed foreign trip of legislators.
Petitioner Neelakantappa, a resident of Tarikere taluk in Chikmagalur district, has contended that the elected representatives, including Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, should desist from undertaking foreign tours in the wake of severe drought in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested