Yeddy seeks cancellation of MLAs` foreign tour
Bangalore: The BJP-led Karnataka government`s move to send around 100 MLAs abroad on `study tour` has come under flak from party strongman in the state, B S Yeddyurappa, who demanded that the programme be cancelled in view of severe drought conditions prevailing in large parts of the state.
"Legislators should desist from undertaking study tour to foreign countries when the state is reeling under severe drought. Their absence will hit drought relief works since they are ex-officio chairmen of the taluk-level task force that oversees the works," the former chief minister told reporters here.
Speaker K G Bopaiah had recently announced that members of five legislature committees numbering around 20 each, accompanied by 15 officials, would be going on a study tour to Russia, South America and Scandinavian countries during September and October. The tour was expected to cost the state exchequer over Rs eight crore.
The Opposition parties had come down heavily on the government for the proposed foreign tour in view of the drought conditions.
On July 25, a PIL was filed in the Karnataka High Court praying for a direction to the government to drop the proposed foreign trip of legislators.
Petitioner Neelakantappa, a resident of Tarikere taluk in Chikmagalur district, has contended that the elected representatives, including Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, should desist from undertaking foreign tours in the wake of severe drought in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe