Yeddy seeks divine help to ward off detractors
Tuticorin/Madurai: Facing opposition
onslaught over alleged land scams, Karnataka Chief Minister B
S Yeddyurappa, who sought divine blessings by taking part in a
yagna at a Tamil Nadu temple, asserted that he will complete
Yeddyurappa, who had been going through one crisis after
another in his two years in power, performed `Sathru Samhara
Yagam` to ward off troubles from detractors at the Lord
Subramanyaswamy temple in Tiruchendur in Tuticorin district
yesterday, temple sources said.
The chief minister, who recently emerged triumphant after
BJP leadership decided to allow him to continue after toying
with the idea of directing him to step down in the wake of
charges of nepotism in land denotifications, told reporters
that he performed the yagna "for the welfare of people."
JD-S leader H D Devegowda, whose son H D Kumaraswamy is
spearheading the campaign to oust Yeddyurappa, had performed
the yagna in the temple several years ago, they said.
Yeddyurappa claimed that he would complete his five year
term as chief minister and the same government would be in
office for next 10 years. In the past two years, nearly 1.2
crore people had benefited by way of welfare measures launched
by the BJP government, he added.
Later yesterday, Yeddyurappa offered prayers at the
famous Meenakshi Sundareswarar temple in Madurai.
He said ties between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu were
cordial and he was in regular touch with his counterpart M
"There are no differences between the two states and we
are having a very good relationship," he said.
The two neighbouring states are locked in a dispute over
sharing of Cauvery river water.
A frequent temple visitor and a generous donor,
Yeddyurappa announced Rs one crore grant for a guest house
being built by the Tiruchendur temple.
At the height of the political crisis last month when BJP
leadership contemplated removing him from his post Yeddyurappa
had rushed to Vaishodevi temple in Jammu to pray for his
continuance as Karnataka Chief Minister besides seeking the
blessings of Sri Satya Sai Baba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back