Yeddyurappa embarrasses BJP, refuses to meet Jaitley
Bangalore: Former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa continued to embarrass the BJP high command on Tuesday when he refused to meet visiting senior party leader Arun Jaitley.
As Jaitley arrived in Bangalore late Monday, the dissident leader opted for leaving for Shimoga, which is about 200 km north of Bangalore.
Yeddyurappa further questioned the need for him to meet any BJP national leader as he was not holding any responsible position in the party. Not only Yeddyurappa, even none of his loyalists bothered to meet Jaitley who held a meeting with BJP state president KS Eshwarappa, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok and other senior leaders to discuss the developments within the party in the light of Yeddyurappa’s repeated threats to quit the party.
Yeddyurappa recently praised Nehru-Gandhi family leadership and slammed his own party president Nitin Gadkari and senior leader LK Advani.
Yeddyurappa has been claiming that when he quit July last year over mining bribery allegations Gadkari had promised to make him state party chief within 24 hours and re-instate him as chief minister in six months.
Two days back he told a public meeting in Bangalore that the BJP would regret "suppressing" him.
The state assembly polls are due May next year and the former chief minister has clearly indicated that he would leave the party by December.
His increasingly bitter attacks on the party leadership is seen in BJP circles as an attempt to force the party to expel him which would help projecting himself as a victim.
The BJP came to power for the first time in Karnataka in May 2008 but its rule has been marred by scores of corruption scandals with around 20 of the party`s 120 legislators in the 225-member Assembly fighting cases ranging from graft to land grab to rape.
Yeddyurappa leads the pack with over a dozen cases of corruption and illegal land deals cases against him and his two sons BY Raghavendra, a BJP Lok Sabha member from Shimoga, and BY Vijayendra and son-in-law RN Sohan Kumar.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video