Yeddyurappa embarrasses BJP, refuses to meet Jaitley
Bangalore: Former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa continued to embarrass the BJP high command on Tuesday when he refused to meet visiting senior party leader Arun Jaitley.
As Jaitley arrived in Bangalore late Monday, the dissident leader opted for leaving for Shimoga, which is about 200 km north of Bangalore.
Yeddyurappa further questioned the need for him to meet any BJP national leader as he was not holding any responsible position in the party. Not only Yeddyurappa, even none of his loyalists bothered to meet Jaitley who held a meeting with BJP state president KS Eshwarappa, Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok and other senior leaders to discuss the developments within the party in the light of Yeddyurappa’s repeated threats to quit the party.
Yeddyurappa recently praised Nehru-Gandhi family leadership and slammed his own party president Nitin Gadkari and senior leader LK Advani.
Yeddyurappa has been claiming that when he quit July last year over mining bribery allegations Gadkari had promised to make him state party chief within 24 hours and re-instate him as chief minister in six months.
Two days back he told a public meeting in Bangalore that the BJP would regret "suppressing" him.
The state assembly polls are due May next year and the former chief minister has clearly indicated that he would leave the party by December.
His increasingly bitter attacks on the party leadership is seen in BJP circles as an attempt to force the party to expel him which would help projecting himself as a victim.
The BJP came to power for the first time in Karnataka in May 2008 but its rule has been marred by scores of corruption scandals with around 20 of the party`s 120 legislators in the 225-member Assembly fighting cases ranging from graft to land grab to rape.
Yeddyurappa leads the pack with over a dozen cases of corruption and illegal land deals cases against him and his two sons BY Raghavendra, a BJP Lok Sabha member from Shimoga, and BY Vijayendra and son-in-law RN Sohan Kumar.
(With IANS inputs)
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks