Yeddyurappa gives clean chit to Reddy brothers
Bangalore: Refuting reports that BJP was
distancing itself from the Reddy brothers on the illegal
mining issue, Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa on Tuesday gave them a clean chit, denying their involvement in the
"It is not correct to say that they are involved in
illegal mining. There is no truth in it," Yeddyurappa told
reporters when asked about the action he proposed to take
against the Reddy brothers over illegal mining.
Yeddyurappa, however, said he was awaiting the final
report to be submitted by the Lokayukta on illegal mining and
said action would be initiated against those indicted in the
"According to me no charges have been levelled against
them. I can`t presume. Let us wait for the report. We are not
distancing from the Reddy brothers over the issue," he said.
Meanwhile, Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj sought to play
down the row over inclusion of the Reddy brothers--Janardhana
and Karunakara -- in the Yedduyurappa Ministry and blamed the
media for the controversy.
Speaking to reporters at Hyderabad, she also denied any
difference of opinion between her and senior leader Arun
Jaitley on the issue.
Yeddyurappa had yesterday endorsed the statement of
Swaraj, perceived to be close to the mining magnates, that she
did not influence anyone in their induction, and said he had
inducted them after consulting the party high command.
Swaraj had also said that the Reddy brothers were
inducted into the cabinet when Arun Jaitley was in-charge of
party affairs in Karnataka and M Venkaiah Naidu and Ananth
Kumar had been sent to Karnataka as central observers for
The Supreme Court appointed Central Empowered Committee
is already probing illegal mining in parts of Bellary and
Andhra Pradesh. CBI is also investigating illegal mining in
the neighbouring state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users