Yeddyurappa has moral responsibility to act: Soni
New Delhi: Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa had a "moral responsibility to act" in the wake of reports that the Lokayukta had named him as one of those involved in illegal mining, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said here Thursday.
"The Lokayukta (N. Santosh Hegde) seems to have clinching evidence against the chief minister," Soni told reporters here following media reports that the obmbudsman indicted Yeddyurappa for selling land to a mining company by 20 times the market value and receiving the payment in a family trust.
While the Lokayukta probe was a "continuing legal process", Soni said, persons in public life "had a moral duty to act".
"Let us see how the legal process moves forward," Soni said.
Besides Yeddyurappa, who is currently abroad, mining barons Reddy brothers, Janata Dal-Secular leader H.D. Kumaraswamy and Congress MP Anil Lad are involved in one way or another in illegal mining, Hegde told reporters in Bangalore.
Hegde, a retired judge of the Supreme Court, admitted that his report, yet to be submitted to the government, was leaked late Wednesday and apologised for the lapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’