Yeddyurappa rejects Congress charge on financial crisis
Gulbarga: Rejecting as "baseless" Congress`
allegation that the state`s financial position was in
doldrums, Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Monday
asserted that it was "strong enough" and that the Reserve Bank
of India itself had expressed satisfaction about it.
"The government has been implementation several welfare
schemes for the last 18 months by spending thousands of crores
of rupees which proves that the financial position of the
state is strong," he told a press conference here.
Yeddyurappa explained that over 1.32 crore families under
BPL category were being provided various welfare benefits.
"If the state`s financial position is not good how can we
do it?" he said and asked the opposition party not to make
The Chief Minister, who also holds the Finance portfolio,
said he would strive to make the next budget a surplus one
keeping in mind the Centre`s guidelines that the deficit
should be below four per cent.
Admitting that there was a huge gap between power
generation and consumption, Yeddyurappa said the government
had made arrangements for buying 250 MW electricity from
neighbouring states. Efforts were also on to buy another 200
MW to ensure uninterrupted supply keeping in mind the coming
examinations for students next month.
Highlighting the government`s initiatives in the IT
sector, particularly in Bangalore, Yeddyurappa said the IT
Park at Jevanahalli was the biggest of its kind in the country
as over Rs one lakh crore was being invested by
multinationals. It would create enormous job opportunities.
Ridiculing Congress leaders Mallikharjun Kharge and N
Dharam Singh, he said though they had been representing the
Gulbarga district for several decades, it was the BJP-led
Government which had taken up development works, allocating
Later, he laid the foundation stone of a housing scheme,
a flagship programme of the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder