Yeddyurappa slams JDS for opposing ban on cow slaughter
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Monday slammed JDS supremo HD Devegowda and the Congress for opposing the Bill banning cow slaughter and expressed confidence on getting President Pratibha Patil`s approval on the issue.
"It was the dream of Mahatma Gandhi to ban cow slaughter. It is already in force in seven-eight states. Supreme Court has also upheld (ban on cow-slaughter)", he told reporters here.
"The minorities are not opposed to the ban on cow slaughter", he said.
Yeddyurappa alleged Devegowda and the Congress were opposing the Bill only to "please minorities" and flayed them for going against the "beliefs" of the majority Hindus.
He said he has explained to the President about the bill and was confident that she will give her assent.
On Congress` recent `Bellary Chalo` Padayatra over illegal mining and the public meeting held in the mine-rich town, Yeddyurappa said sarcastically that the Congress high-command was happy with state leaders "for coming out of slumber".
"The fight for Congress leadership (in Karnataka) has begun; I only hope that Siddaramaiah (Leader of Opposition in the Assembly) does not face problems (in terms of challenge to his leadership)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad