Yeddyurappa slams JDS for opposing ban on cow slaughter
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Monday slammed JDS supremo HD Devegowda and the Congress for opposing the Bill banning cow slaughter and expressed confidence on getting President Pratibha Patil`s approval on the issue.
"It was the dream of Mahatma Gandhi to ban cow slaughter. It is already in force in seven-eight states. Supreme Court has also upheld (ban on cow-slaughter)", he told reporters here.
"The minorities are not opposed to the ban on cow slaughter", he said.
Yeddyurappa alleged Devegowda and the Congress were opposing the Bill only to "please minorities" and flayed them for going against the "beliefs" of the majority Hindus.
He said he has explained to the President about the bill and was confident that she will give her assent.
On Congress` recent `Bellary Chalo` Padayatra over illegal mining and the public meeting held in the mine-rich town, Yeddyurappa said sarcastically that the Congress high-command was happy with state leaders "for coming out of slumber".
"The fight for Congress leadership (in Karnataka) has begun; I only hope that Siddaramaiah (Leader of Opposition in the Assembly) does not face problems (in terms of challenge to his leadership)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations