Yeddyurappa walks out of jail
Bangalore: Former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa on Tuesday walked out of Bangalore`s central prison, hours after the Karnataka High Court granted him bail in connection with the land de-notification cases.
“The truth will prevail,” Yeddyurappa said talking to reporters just after his release.
Pronouncing the order, Justice BV Pinto of the Karnataka High Court said that his offence was not the one which warranted death or life term and hence, he deserved to be given a bail.
Justice Pinto allowed the bail application of Yeddyurappa on the condition that he furnishes a bond for Rs five lakh and does not attempt to tamper with evidence.
The bail granted to Yeddyurappa in the third private complaint for alleged irregularities in denotifying government lands favouring his family members, comes five days after he
secured similar relief on the second complaint relating to similar charges.
The judge also enlarged on bail former Minister S N
Krishnaiah Setty, one of the accused along with Yeddyurappa in
the third private complaint filed in the Lokayukta court by
advocates Sirajin Basha and K N Balaraj.
The Lokayukta Special Court had rejected the bail applications of Yeddyurappa and Setty on October 15 and sent them to judicial custody.
Pronouncing the orders on the pleas of Yeddyurappa and Setty, Justice Pinto observed that the lower court has not taken into consideration whether the documents submitted by
the complainants were verified and subjected to scrutiny.
The complainant in his seven-page sworn statement recorded before the lower court has not averred that the documents furnished by him are "true". Under these circumstances, the documents should not have been taken into consideration, the judge observed.
"Therefore, there is no impediment in granting bail to the accused", Justice Pinto said while allowing the bail applications.
Justice Pinto said since some more complaints were pending before the lower court, "I do not want to express my opinion at this stage."
Three more private complaints filed by Basha are still pending before the Lokayukta court. While sworn statements have been recorded in the fourth and fifth, the process is yet
to begin on the first complaint.
Justice Pinto observed that nowhere has the complainant stated that the contents of documents furnished by him were "true" or produced any witnesses.
"Under these circumstances, mere reading of the sworn statement does not disclose guilt of offences. The counsel for the petitioner has stated that denotification of government lands are permissible under Section 48 of the Land Acquisition Act. For this no fault can be made against the accused. And the offences under this act are not punishable", the judge said.
The Karnataka Land Use Restriction Act, under which an offence was sought to be made against Setty, for securing conversion of agricultural land into non-agricultural use was not also punishable offence under the law, Justice Pinto said while rejecting the contention of the complainants that offences have been committed by the accused.
Both the accused have no antecedents of crime nor any case was pending against them or booked in any other case, the judge said.
The judge also observed that the sworn statements by complainants do not disclose any offence made out under various provisions of IPC and sections of the Prevention of
The BJP leader was arrested Oct 15 and has been in Bangalore`s central prison since Oct 19 after spending three days in two hospitals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'