Yeddyurappa warns of action against pubs disallowing Africans
Bangalore: In the wake of reports about
African nationals allegedly being denied entry into some pubs,
the Karnataka Government on Tuesday said action would be taken
against those who indulge in racist practices.
"I am against racism. Nobody should indulge in it. I have
already instructed police to investigate and take stringent
action," Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa said.
"We will not allow such things. Stern action would be
taken against those who indulged in it," he said.
He said as per his enquiries there was no truth in reports
that pubs have denied entry to African nationals.
Asked whether such incidents would dent the image of the
city, known for its cosmopolitan character and IT hub,
Yeddyurappa said "we will not allow the image of Bangalore to
Yeddyurappa said the government was committed to the safety
and security of all foreign nationals.
Meanwhile, the Association of Pubs, Bars and Restaurants in
Bangalore today denied such a practise but admitted the
possibility over "security reasons".
"We do not discriminate entry of anyone on the basis of
creed, colour or caste. However, it depends on some individual
pubs, which might have denied entry on security reasons,"
Association President Ashish Kothare said.
Kothare said following some indecent behaviour by an
individual or a group, a pub or some pubs might have asked
them not to return as such incidents should not affect their
However, he denied knowledge of pubs which have shut their
doors on people on the basis of their "colour".
"Business means income. It does not have colour. Who does
not want income?" Kothare added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply