Zilla panchayat member hacked to death
Bangalore: A history sheeter-turned zilla panchayat member was hacked to death by a gang while his gunman killed one of the assailants on the city outskirts, police said.
Nelamangala Zilla Panchayat member B M L Krishnappa, a former JDS member who had switched over to Congress, was travelling in a car when the gangsters numbering around 30-40 waylaid and hacked him near Nelamangala on Bangalore-Pune National Highway last night, they said.
Nelamangala Police Inspector Prakash said the attackers first opened fire at Krishnappa`s car and later hacked him with longs and matchets, killing him on the spot before fleeing from the spot.
The gunman of Krishnappa who was in the car returned fire killing one of the gangsters, Prakash said.
Police suspect that the attack was the handiwork of rowdysheeter Bethanagere Seena`s gang and retaliation for a 2008 murder of a person allegedly at the behest of Krishnappa, a former historysheeter.
The murder sparked tension in Nelamangala and surrounding areas where Krishnappa’s supporters indulged in violence torching a government bus and pelting stones at passing vehicles, police said, adding the situation was brought under control with deployment of police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah