Zilla panchayat member hacked to death
Bangalore: A history sheeter-turned zilla panchayat member was hacked to death by a gang while his gunman killed one of the assailants on the city outskirts, police said.
Nelamangala Zilla Panchayat member B M L Krishnappa, a former JDS member who had switched over to Congress, was travelling in a car when the gangsters numbering around 30-40 waylaid and hacked him near Nelamangala on Bangalore-Pune National Highway last night, they said.
Nelamangala Police Inspector Prakash said the attackers first opened fire at Krishnappa`s car and later hacked him with longs and matchets, killing him on the spot before fleeing from the spot.
The gunman of Krishnappa who was in the car returned fire killing one of the gangsters, Prakash said.
Police suspect that the attack was the handiwork of rowdysheeter Bethanagere Seena`s gang and retaliation for a 2008 murder of a person allegedly at the behest of Krishnappa, a former historysheeter.
The murder sparked tension in Nelamangala and surrounding areas where Krishnappa’s supporters indulged in violence torching a government bus and pelting stones at passing vehicles, police said, adding the situation was brought under control with deployment of police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown