12 from Delhi killed in Kerala boat capsize incident
New Delhi: Twelve people, including ten
belonging to three families, from the national capital were
among those who met their watery grave when the boat they were
travelling in capsized during a fun trip in Kerala`s Idukki
district, officials said on Wednesday.
Of the 12 deceased, one was a teenaged boy, two were men
and nine women, including a minor girl.
Incidentally, the ten members of three families belong to
west Delhi`s Paschim Vihar and out of this, two families had
gone together for a trip to Thekkady, a wildlife sanctuary in
the district, where the incident took place last evening.
Three members each of the two families, who had gone as
part of a 10-member group for the holiday, were killed in the
Pradeep Jain, an official of a pharmaceutical company,
his wife Sandhya and daughter Shruti died, while Shruti`s
husband Baladutt and a nine-year-old girl Nidhi survived.
Their neighbours Vimla Jain, Sangeeta Sharma and Partha
Sharma (19) also died, officials said, adding it was Nidhi who
identified the bodies.
Aruna Kaura, her daughter Sudhi and relatives Anika Kaura
and Renu Kaura from Paschim Vihar also died in the incident.
Earlier, authorities had said that Renu belonged to Punjab.
The other two deceased are Harinder Singh from Janakpuri
The toll in the incident has crossed 40 with the recovery
of ten more bodies. Besides the 12 victims from Delhi, nine are from Tamil Nadu, five from West Bengal, four from Andhra Pradesh and
three from Karnataka.
Kerala Government officials said the bodies of victims
belonging to the capital will be flown to the city soon after
the post mortem is over.
"The government is taking all measures to help the
families of the victims in Delhi. The bodies will be flown to
the capital soon after the post mortem and embalming is over,"
a senior official said.
A control room has been set up in Kerala House in Delhi
where people can contact for details. The numbers are
011-23342320/30411500. The Kerala helpline numbers are
09446052361 and 04869222620.
The victim from Punjab has been identified as Rana Gowda.
The deceased who belong to West Bengal are Meena Das, Kalpana
Das, Nirmala Das, Anoopa Bhandari and Deepak Kaur. All are
Two of the victims from Andhra Pradesh are minors --
four-year-old Sai Mansi and Devendra Verma (13). The others
are Sunil Kumar and Sneha. Apart from Verma who is from
Guntur, all others are from Hyderabad.
Three victims from Karnataka are Vijaya Sailesh, Soorya
Prakash, and Rajeshekaran.
Those from Tamil Nadu are Aditya, Anusha Devi, Sandhya,
Dharani, Jayaprakash, Rahul, Ilakia, Prakatheswari and Sudha.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory