178 mild tremors felt in 10 years in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: As many as 178 mild tremors have been reported in Kerala in the last 10 years.
These tremors of mild or medium intensity did not cause any extensive damage but the government had strengthened the preparedness to meet any eventuality arising from natural calamities as part of its disaster management plan, a reply furnished by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the assembly Monday said.
Of these tremors, the one that was felt in the south-west areas of Kochi on July 25, 2005, had the highest intensity of 3.7 on the Richter scale, he said.
Besides the Indian Meteorological Department, the Centre for Earth Science Studies (CESS) and Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) had their seismographs installed in various parts of the state.
Some of these were Digitised Broadband systems which could record and measure the quakes accurately.
Six more sophisticated seismographs would be installed in parts of Idukki district, where most of Kerala`s dams and reservoirs, including the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam, are located.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details