178 mild tremors felt in 10 years in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: As many as 178 mild tremors have been reported in Kerala in the last 10 years.
These tremors of mild or medium intensity did not cause any extensive damage but the government had strengthened the preparedness to meet any eventuality arising from natural calamities as part of its disaster management plan, a reply furnished by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the assembly Monday said.
Of these tremors, the one that was felt in the south-west areas of Kochi on July 25, 2005, had the highest intensity of 3.7 on the Richter scale, he said.
Besides the Indian Meteorological Department, the Centre for Earth Science Studies (CESS) and Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) had their seismographs installed in various parts of the state.
Some of these were Digitised Broadband systems which could record and measure the quakes accurately.
Six more sophisticated seismographs would be installed in parts of Idukki district, where most of Kerala`s dams and reservoirs, including the 116-year-old Mullaperiyar dam, are located.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?