179 deaths due to viral fever in Kerala: Minister
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF opposition
on Tuesday staged a walkout in the Kerala assembly protesting
against government`s "failure" to check spread of various
types of viral fever, including leptospirosis that had claimed
179 lives so far.
Lack of medicines and shortage of doctors in government
hospitals have led to this serious situation, former Kerala
Finance Minister Thomas Issac said while seeking leave for an
adjournment motion on the matter.
Issac said more than 300 persons have died of various viral
infections in the state in the last few months and about
10,000 people were suffering from fever in the state.
The worst affected districts were Kasargod, Kannur,
Kozhikode, Malappuram, Ernakulam and Kottayam, he said.
Intervening in the matter, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said
the government viewed the situation very seriously and steps
had been taken to fill vacancies of doctors in hospitals.
Steps have been taken to ensure required quantity of
medicines in hospitals, he added.
Replying to the motion, Health Minister Adoor Prakash said
179 persons have died of fever in the state till date since
January. Cases of dengue, hepatitis and gastroenteritis were
also reported, he said.
Admitting that the situation had not been completely under
control, Prakash said the government was able to check the
spread of the disease due to the steps initiated by it.
Speaker G Karthikeyan refused leave for the motion after
the reply of health minister and chief minister.
Before walking out, opposition leader V S Achuthanandan
said it was the inept handling of the situation by the health
department that had led to the present serious problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation