23,853 cases of violence against women in Kerala in 2 years
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid continued debate on more stringent laws to curb crime against women, Kerala has recorded 23,853 cases involving violence, including rape, against women and 1,326 cases of attack on children in the past two years.
Also, 14,640 people ended their lives in the past two years out of which 3,501 were women and 448 children.
In a written reply in the state Assembly, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said out of the 23,853 cases of violence against women, as many as 1,976 cases related to rape and 6,870 connected with molestation.
Eight women and two children were killed due to sexual harassment during the period and 30 cases in connection with sexual exploitation of children below the age of five years were reported.
Malappuram district (7) followed by Thiruvananthapuram and Ernakulam (5 each) topped the list of sexual harassment on children below five years, the reply tabled in the House said.
Apart from this, 2,050 cases of violence against minor girls including 579 rape and 45 murder were reported during the period.
A total of 675 cases related to sexual harassment against children were reported from homes and educational institutions.
Family problem continued to be the main reason for suicides with 5,533 people taking the extreme step on account of this. Financial burden forced 1,164 people to end their lives, the minister said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender