23,853 cases of violence against women in Kerala in 2 years
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid continued debate on more stringent laws to curb crime against women, Kerala has recorded 23,853 cases involving violence, including rape, against women and 1,326 cases of attack on children in the past two years.
Also, 14,640 people ended their lives in the past two years out of which 3,501 were women and 448 children.
In a written reply in the state Assembly, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said out of the 23,853 cases of violence against women, as many as 1,976 cases related to rape and 6,870 connected with molestation.
Eight women and two children were killed due to sexual harassment during the period and 30 cases in connection with sexual exploitation of children below the age of five years were reported.
Malappuram district (7) followed by Thiruvananthapuram and Ernakulam (5 each) topped the list of sexual harassment on children below five years, the reply tabled in the House said.
Apart from this, 2,050 cases of violence against minor girls including 579 rape and 45 murder were reported during the period.
A total of 675 cases related to sexual harassment against children were reported from homes and educational institutions.
Family problem continued to be the main reason for suicides with 5,533 people taking the extreme step on account of this. Financial burden forced 1,164 people to end their lives, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'