23,853 cases of violence against women in Kerala in 2 years
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid continued debate on more stringent laws to curb crime against women, Kerala has recorded 23,853 cases involving violence, including rape, against women and 1,326 cases of attack on children in the past two years.
Also, 14,640 people ended their lives in the past two years out of which 3,501 were women and 448 children.
In a written reply in the state Assembly, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said out of the 23,853 cases of violence against women, as many as 1,976 cases related to rape and 6,870 connected with molestation.
Eight women and two children were killed due to sexual harassment during the period and 30 cases in connection with sexual exploitation of children below the age of five years were reported.
Malappuram district (7) followed by Thiruvananthapuram and Ernakulam (5 each) topped the list of sexual harassment on children below five years, the reply tabled in the House said.
Apart from this, 2,050 cases of violence against minor girls including 579 rape and 45 murder were reported during the period.
A total of 675 cases related to sexual harassment against children were reported from homes and educational institutions.
Family problem continued to be the main reason for suicides with 5,533 people taking the extreme step on account of this. Financial burden forced 1,164 people to end their lives, the minister said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!