27 women candidates in fray for LS polls in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: A record number of 27 women candidates, including two each from mainstream parties like Congress, CPI(M) and BJP, are among 269 candidates contesting in the 20 Lok Sabha constituencies in Kerala going to polls on April 10.
Though majority of them are either independents or belonging to minor parties, it is the first time in the state`s poll history that the number of women candidates is crossing the mark of 20.
Fifteen women candidates contested the previous Lok Sabha polls in 2009 and 2004. The number was 13 in 1999 and 10 each in 1998, 1996 and 1991 elections, election commission sources said.
The number was the lowest in the 1952, 1957 and 1962 polls--only one woman candidate was in the fray during these years.
In the coming polls, Congress has fielded two women leaders- Bindhu Krishna in Attingal and KA Sheeba in Alathur.
The opposition LDF has opted for veteran leader and former minister PK Sreemathi in Kannur and PK Sainaba in Malappuram (both CPI(M).
Senior BJP leaders Shobha Surendran and Girija Kumari are in the fray in Palakkad and Attingal respectively.
Journalist Anita Pratap and writer Sara Joseph, both representing Aam Aadmi Party are other prominent women candidates, seeking an entry into the lower House.
Pathanamthitta, where four women candidates are in the fray, has the highest participation of women.
Wayanad, Malappuram, Ponnani, Palakkad, Chalakkudy and Ernakulam constituencies have one woman candidate each, while no women have figured in the candidate list of Kasaragod, Kozhikode, Kottayam and Kollam constituencies.
Though women outnumber men on the electoral rolls in the state, women representation has been very low in Kerala in electoral politics.
Though the state is known for its remarkable track record on social development and literacy, many women leaders feel that they do not get their deserved share.
Since 1952, Kerala has sent only seven women leaders to the Lok Sabha.
Susheela Gopalan, AK Premajam, Sathi Devi and CS Sujatha of CPI(M), Bhargavi Thankappan of CPI and Savithri Lakshman of Congress are among the prominent women who represented the state in Parliament.
Out of the total electorate of 2,42,51,942 in the state, 1,25,70,439 are women.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof