2G spectrum charge sheet has left out core issues: Jaitley
Thiruvananthapuram: BJP on Sunday said the CBI
charge sheet in the 2G spectrum case had left out "core
issues" without significantly dealing with loss to the
exchequer and alleged that the timetable of investigation was
influenced by the April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls.
Arun Jaitley, who is Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha, said, "The charge sheet has left out the core issues.
The issue of loss to the exchequer on account of allotting
spectrum at 2001 price in 2008 has not been significantly
Saying that there were serious allegations of favour shown
to DMK, a UPA partner, he told a meet-the-press programme here
that the timetable of investigation was influenced by the
Tamil Nadu polls.
"I think CBI has bent backwards a little bit. They
repeatedly said the Prime Minister was defied or misled. I
don`t think the charge sheet should give a political clean
chit to anybody. It should deal with criminality," Jaitley,
who was here to campaign for BJP candidates, said.
Jaitley said CBI had acted under legal compulsions as it
was mandatory to file the charge sheet within 60 days after
starting the investigation.
Claiming that "huge evidences" about large sums of money
being transferred to the DMK channel (Kalaignar TV) had
surfaced during the probe, he said there was no reason to
postpone such vital issues.
Asked if he thought CBI had been politically influenced to
leave out issues relating to DMK, he noted that CBI itself had
taken up the case only after the Supreme Court intervention.
The investigating agency should avoid doing anything that
would vindicate the charge of acting on political
considerations, he said.
The CBI charge sheet filed in a Delhi court yesterday said
former Telecom Minister A Raja had conspired with top
bureaucrats, including a retired IAS officer, and corporate
honchos in allocation of 2G spectrum that resulted in a loss
of Rs 30,984 crore.
Raja was chargesheeted along with eight others and three
Telecom companies in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015