2G spectrum charge sheet has left out core issues: Jaitley
Thiruvananthapuram: BJP on Sunday said the CBI
charge sheet in the 2G spectrum case had left out "core
issues" without significantly dealing with loss to the
exchequer and alleged that the timetable of investigation was
influenced by the April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls.
Arun Jaitley, who is Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha, said, "The charge sheet has left out the core issues.
The issue of loss to the exchequer on account of allotting
spectrum at 2001 price in 2008 has not been significantly
Saying that there were serious allegations of favour shown
to DMK, a UPA partner, he told a meet-the-press programme here
that the timetable of investigation was influenced by the
Tamil Nadu polls.
"I think CBI has bent backwards a little bit. They
repeatedly said the Prime Minister was defied or misled. I
don`t think the charge sheet should give a political clean
chit to anybody. It should deal with criminality," Jaitley,
who was here to campaign for BJP candidates, said.
Jaitley said CBI had acted under legal compulsions as it
was mandatory to file the charge sheet within 60 days after
starting the investigation.
Claiming that "huge evidences" about large sums of money
being transferred to the DMK channel (Kalaignar TV) had
surfaced during the probe, he said there was no reason to
postpone such vital issues.
Asked if he thought CBI had been politically influenced to
leave out issues relating to DMK, he noted that CBI itself had
taken up the case only after the Supreme Court intervention.
The investigating agency should avoid doing anything that
would vindicate the charge of acting on political
considerations, he said.
The CBI charge sheet filed in a Delhi court yesterday said
former Telecom Minister A Raja had conspired with top
bureaucrats, including a retired IAS officer, and corporate
honchos in allocation of 2G spectrum that resulted in a loss
of Rs 30,984 crore.
Raja was chargesheeted along with eight others and three
Telecom companies in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!