2G spectrum charge sheet has left out core issues: Jaitley
Thiruvananthapuram: BJP on Sunday said the CBI
charge sheet in the 2G spectrum case had left out "core
issues" without significantly dealing with loss to the
exchequer and alleged that the timetable of investigation was
influenced by the April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls.
Arun Jaitley, who is Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya
Sabha, said, "The charge sheet has left out the core issues.
The issue of loss to the exchequer on account of allotting
spectrum at 2001 price in 2008 has not been significantly
Saying that there were serious allegations of favour shown
to DMK, a UPA partner, he told a meet-the-press programme here
that the timetable of investigation was influenced by the
Tamil Nadu polls.
"I think CBI has bent backwards a little bit. They
repeatedly said the Prime Minister was defied or misled. I
don`t think the charge sheet should give a political clean
chit to anybody. It should deal with criminality," Jaitley,
who was here to campaign for BJP candidates, said.
Jaitley said CBI had acted under legal compulsions as it
was mandatory to file the charge sheet within 60 days after
starting the investigation.
Claiming that "huge evidences" about large sums of money
being transferred to the DMK channel (Kalaignar TV) had
surfaced during the probe, he said there was no reason to
postpone such vital issues.
Asked if he thought CBI had been politically influenced to
leave out issues relating to DMK, he noted that CBI itself had
taken up the case only after the Supreme Court intervention.
The investigating agency should avoid doing anything that
would vindicate the charge of acting on political
considerations, he said.
The CBI charge sheet filed in a Delhi court yesterday said
former Telecom Minister A Raja had conspired with top
bureaucrats, including a retired IAS officer, and corporate
honchos in allocation of 2G spectrum that resulted in a loss
of Rs 30,984 crore.
Raja was chargesheeted along with eight others and three
Telecom companies in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Help your child grow with Ziro, a dexterous robotics kit for kids!
- Baltimore police officer acquitted in Freddie Gray death
- Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities
- India, Iran, Afghanistan ink 'historic' Chabahar port agreement; PM Modi calls it 'corridor of peace, prosperity'
- Jayalalithaa sworn in as Tamil Nadu CM for sixth time, inducts 32 ministers