80 prisoners on 1 day fast over delay in taking up their pleas
Coimbatore: Eighty undertrials and prisoners at Central Jail here on Monday resorted to a one day fast protesting the delay in taking up their pleas on detaining them under the Goondas Act.
Police said these prisoners, including those involved in robberies and house breaking, wanted the Advisory Committee to hear their petitions at the earliest.
Once detained under Goondas Act, they may not be able to come on bail for a period of one year, police said.
The prisoners refused to have breakfast and lunch, they said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise