80 prisoners on 1 day fast over delay in taking up their pleas
Coimbatore: Eighty undertrials and prisoners at Central Jail here on Monday resorted to a one day fast protesting the delay in taking up their pleas on detaining them under the Goondas Act.
Police said these prisoners, including those involved in robberies and house breaking, wanted the Advisory Committee to hear their petitions at the earliest.
Once detained under Goondas Act, they may not be able to come on bail for a period of one year, police said.
The prisoners refused to have breakfast and lunch, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi pays tribute to V D Savarkar on birth anniversary
- Star cast of Jimmy Sheirgill's 'Shorgul' out in this brand new poster! – View pic
- Caught on camera: Gram Panchayat president attempting to rape woman in Mandya
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic