A working birthday for Oomen Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: "I am back to my work," said Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who refused to accept even a single cake to mark his 70th birthday on Thursday.
"Oh no, I do not believe in any celebrations and hence today (Thursday) will be like any other day," he said.
"I have functions to attend at Kottayam and also at Kochi. The rest period as asked by the doctors is over and hence I am back to my work," Chandy told a news agency.
Chandy was injured in stone-pelting Sunday when his convoy came under attack at Kannur by suspected CPI-M activists. He was discharged from hospital Tuesday.
Chandy and his family Wednesday evening left for his home town in Kottayam.
"He will return only late tonight or early tomorrow to his official residence here. Ever since he was injured in an attack by the CPI-M workers at Kannur Sunday, his official residence has been crowded and hence his decision to go away from here along with his entire family...," said a close aide of Chandy.
Since Wednesday afternoon, the number of visitors both from his constituency at Puthupally in Kottayam district and from his ancestral home near Thiruvalla in Pathanamthitta district has been increasing.
"He has given a direction that not a single cake should be accepted from anyone...because he knows if he accepts one, then he will have to accept hundreds," added the aide.
En route to Kottayam Wednesday night, the family spent some time in prayers at the famed St. Peter`s and St Paul`s Orthodox Church, Parumala (Parumala Pally), a prominent parish church of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, to which Chandy belongs.
The chief minister and his family spent the night at the Kottayam guest house and Thursday morning all of them prayed at the St George Orthodox Church, located a stone`s throw from his Puthupally residence.
"His visit here was not expected but still a huge crowd had gathered to greet him at his home besides enquiring of his health," said his personal assistant.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read