A working birthday for Oomen Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: "I am back to my work," said Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who refused to accept even a single cake to mark his 70th birthday on Thursday.
"Oh no, I do not believe in any celebrations and hence today (Thursday) will be like any other day," he said.
"I have functions to attend at Kottayam and also at Kochi. The rest period as asked by the doctors is over and hence I am back to my work," Chandy told a news agency.
Chandy was injured in stone-pelting Sunday when his convoy came under attack at Kannur by suspected CPI-M activists. He was discharged from hospital Tuesday.
Chandy and his family Wednesday evening left for his home town in Kottayam.
"He will return only late tonight or early tomorrow to his official residence here. Ever since he was injured in an attack by the CPI-M workers at Kannur Sunday, his official residence has been crowded and hence his decision to go away from here along with his entire family...," said a close aide of Chandy.
Since Wednesday afternoon, the number of visitors both from his constituency at Puthupally in Kottayam district and from his ancestral home near Thiruvalla in Pathanamthitta district has been increasing.
"He has given a direction that not a single cake should be accepted from anyone...because he knows if he accepts one, then he will have to accept hundreds," added the aide.
En route to Kottayam Wednesday night, the family spent some time in prayers at the famed St. Peter`s and St Paul`s Orthodox Church, Parumala (Parumala Pally), a prominent parish church of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, to which Chandy belongs.
The chief minister and his family spent the night at the Kottayam guest house and Thursday morning all of them prayed at the St George Orthodox Church, located a stone`s throw from his Puthupally residence.
"His visit here was not expected but still a huge crowd had gathered to greet him at his home besides enquiring of his health," said his personal assistant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow