A working birthday for Oomen Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: "I am back to my work," said Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who refused to accept even a single cake to mark his 70th birthday on Thursday.
"Oh no, I do not believe in any celebrations and hence today (Thursday) will be like any other day," he said.
"I have functions to attend at Kottayam and also at Kochi. The rest period as asked by the doctors is over and hence I am back to my work," Chandy told a news agency.
Chandy was injured in stone-pelting Sunday when his convoy came under attack at Kannur by suspected CPI-M activists. He was discharged from hospital Tuesday.
Chandy and his family Wednesday evening left for his home town in Kottayam.
"He will return only late tonight or early tomorrow to his official residence here. Ever since he was injured in an attack by the CPI-M workers at Kannur Sunday, his official residence has been crowded and hence his decision to go away from here along with his entire family...," said a close aide of Chandy.
Since Wednesday afternoon, the number of visitors both from his constituency at Puthupally in Kottayam district and from his ancestral home near Thiruvalla in Pathanamthitta district has been increasing.
"He has given a direction that not a single cake should be accepted from anyone...because he knows if he accepts one, then he will have to accept hundreds," added the aide.
En route to Kottayam Wednesday night, the family spent some time in prayers at the famed St. Peter`s and St Paul`s Orthodox Church, Parumala (Parumala Pally), a prominent parish church of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, to which Chandy belongs.
The chief minister and his family spent the night at the Kottayam guest house and Thursday morning all of them prayed at the St George Orthodox Church, located a stone`s throw from his Puthupally residence.
"His visit here was not expected but still a huge crowd had gathered to greet him at his home besides enquiring of his health," said his personal assistant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered