Abhishek Singhvi withdraws from Lottery case
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 19:40
  
Kochi: After his appearance for promoters of lotteries from other states raised a storm within his own party in Kerala, Congress spokesperson Abhishekh Singhvi on Thursday pulled out as counsel in the case keeping in view the "sentiments involved and the larger interest of the party".

His decision came a day after Congress in Kerala faced embarrassment over his appearance in the High Court for promoters of lotteries from outside the state at a time when the party is engaged in a bitter battle against the LDF government over the issue.

Singhvi told agency that although he appeared in the case for the Bhutan government endorsing and upholding the central government's 2010 rules and no conflict of interest would have been or was intended, he was withdrawing in the larger interest of the party and the sentiments involved.

Kerala Congress, which has been vociferously protesting against the presence of other state lotteries -- of Sikkim and Bhutan governments, was embarrassed when Singhvi yesterday appeared in court for Megha distributors, promoters of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in the state.

Singhvi appeared in the court for the second day today to continue the arguments.

"There is no question of backtracking from the case," he told reporters earlier in the day. "There is no communication gap. I am upholding central act and rules..," he said, adding "there is absolutely no conflict of interest."

He also said his appearance had "nothing to do with politics. It is purely abstract legal challenge. Nobody has to teach me Congress values and issues. I have always been a loyal congress worker," he said.

About the unhappiness expressed by Opposition leader Oommen Chandy and Kerala PCC President Ramesh Chennithala, over his representing the Megha distributors, Singhvi said "they have a right to object. Everything will be sorted out."

Youth Congress activists had yesterday waved black flags at Singhvi, who had to be escorted out of court by police through a different gate, exclusively meant for judges. Six of them were taken into custody today and later let off, police sources said.

The congress which had been vociferously protesting against the presence of other state lotteries-- of Sikkim and Bhutan governments was embarrassed when Singhvi yesterday appeared in court for Megha distributors, promoters of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in the state.

Singhvi appeared in the court for the second day today to continue the arguments in the case.

There was no question of backtracking from the case, he told media personnel earlier in the day.

'There is no communication gap. I am upholding central act and rules..', he said adding 'there was absolutely no conflict of interest'.

Reiterating that he was appearing for the Bhutan government in the case, Singhvi said his appearance in the case had 'nothing to do with politics. It is purely abstract legal challenge. Nobody has to teach me Congress values and issues. I have always been a loyal congress worker', he had said.

When pointed out the unhappiness expressed by Opposition leader Oommen Chandy and Kerala PCC President Ramesh Chennithala, over his representing the Megha distributors, the promoters of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in Kerala, Singhvi said 'they have a right to object. Everything will be sorted out', he said.

The youth congress activists had waived black flags at Singhivi yesterday. Six of them were taken into preventive custody today and later let off, police sources said.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 19:40


comments powered by Disqus