Achuthanandan decries intolerance towards cartoons
Thiruvananthapuram: Holding that freedom of expression is an essential component of democracty, CPI(M) stalwart VS Achuthanandan expressed serious concern over the intolerance shown by certain political quarters towards cartoons and caricatures in recent times.
Referring to the row over Sahankar`s and R K Laxman`s cartoons reproduced in textbooks, he said attacking cartoons and cartoonists did not augur well for a healthy democracy.
He was delivering the inaugural address at a discussion on "Lakshman rekha for cartoons?” organised by Kerala Cartoon Academy and the Press Club here last evening.
"I am a subject of large number of cartoons. I always enjoy them and try to understand the message sought to be conveyed through them. In a democracy, tolerance and readiness to face criticism are vitally important", he said.
The CPI(M) leader said it was quite unfortunate that works produced decades back by eminent cartoonists like Shankar and Laxman are being targeted now by certain quarters.
He also came down heavily on West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Bannerjee for taking action against a college professor for sending an online caricature.
On the occasion, Congress MLA V T Balaram drew a cartoon of Achuthanandan, for which the octogenarian leader posed and enjoyed, despite it alluding to inner commotions in CPI(M) in Kerala.
Eminent cartoonist Toms and Kerala Cartoon Academy chairman Prasannan Anikkad were among those who spoke.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow