Achuthanandan demands Antony`s resignation
Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran CPI-M leader and former Kerala Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan on Friday demanded resignation of Defense Minister A K Antony for his "failure" to take prompt action on the disclosure by Army Chief General V K Singh that he was offered a huge sum as bribe for clearing a truck deal.
"The inaction of Antony on such a serious issue amounted to
treason. He has lost the moral right to continue in office,"
Achuthanandan told reporters here.
Antony`s contention that he refrained from acting on the
issue as the General had not given a written complaint was
"absurd." As Defense Minister, he could have ordered an
inquiry without waiting for a written complaint.
However, Antony chose to remain silent for nearly an year
after Singh disclosed the bribe offer. A series of scams had
surfaced during the UPA-II rule and Antony`s department had
also contributed to them, Achuthanandan alleged.
Going by the current round of allegations, there was reason
to suspect that the ill-gotten money had gone to fund the
Congress election campaigns, he alleged.
He termed as "ridiculous" the Congress` efforts to insulate
Antony and said he could not wash off his hands saying that he
had resigned from the Union ministry in the past when the
sugar scandal broke out. Tendering resignation would do well
for the image of Antony, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video