Achuthanandan demands Kerala Assembly meeting on SC`s Mullaperiyar Dam verdict
Thiruvananthapuram: Former Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan said on Wednesday that there was an immediate need for the state assembly to meet to discuss and deliberate on the Supreme Court`s latest verdict on the Mullaperiyar Dam case.
"There should be an immediate meeting of the Kerala Legislature to decide on the future course of action," said veteran CPI-M leader Achuthanandan.
The Kerala Government has failed to convey the seriousness of the issue to the Central Government and the Supreme Court," he added.
Achuthanandan was reacting to an apex court verdict announced today that allows the raising of the water level in Mullaperiyar dam to 142 feet.
He warned that this verdict will have huge ramifications for both Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
The Supreme Court also appointed a supervising committee to look into the dam`s workings and restoration.
The Mullaperiyar Dam has been a politically live wire issue for both Tamil Nadu and Kerala, with the former demanding an increase in the water level in the 116-year-old dam to support its agricultural needs, and the latter opposed to the same over concerns about the old dam`s safety.
The dam site is in Kerala, but the reservoir mainly serves Tamil Nadu.
The Supreme Court quashed the amendments to the Kerala Conservation and Irrigation Act brought in by the Kerala Government in 2006 to restrict the water level to 136 feet after an apex court bench order in February allowing Tamil Nadu to raise it to 142 feet.
A bench headed by Chief Justice RM Lodha delivered the verdict eight months after hearing in the case was completed.
Delivering the verdict, the court said that there was no safety threat to the dam.
The Empowered Committee appointed by the apex court in the issue, had also supported Tamil Nadu`s demand, but the Kerala had remained opposed to the plan and had instead demanded that a new dam be built at Mullaperiyar.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why