Achuthanandan demands to handover gold smuggling case to NIA
Thiruvananthapuram: Alleging that those arrested in connection with the recent gold smuggling case in Kerala had links with terrorists, Opposition leader and CPI(M) veteran VS Achuthanandan on Tuesday demanded that the case be handed over to National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Speaking to reporters here, Achuthanandan said that the accused Fayas and Haris had links with terrorists and that efforts were on to sabotage investigation into the case as the duo had connections with top political leaders, including Central and state ministers.
The CPI(M) said Customs officials who took action against Fayaz had been either transferred from their posts or moved from the department.
Prime accused in the case, 38-year-old Fayaz, hails from Mahe, was arrested in Delhi last month while attempting to leave for Dubai.
Investigators claimed of coming across evidences that Fayaz had connections with political leaders, government officials and prominent cine personalities.
Customs officials reportedly seized pictures of Fayaz along with some prominent personalities from politics, cinema and top government officials, sources said.
Fayaz`s arrest came after the arrest of two women, suspected to be carriers when they attempted to smuggle 20kg of gold from Nedumbassery airport at Kochi on arrival from Dubai.
The case also raised eyebrows with alleged revelation by Fayaz that he had links with a former member of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s office, who was removed for his alleged connection with the Solar panel scam accused.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says