Achuthanandan demands to handover gold smuggling case to NIA
Thiruvananthapuram: Alleging that those arrested in connection with the recent gold smuggling case in Kerala had links with terrorists, Opposition leader and CPI(M) veteran VS Achuthanandan on Tuesday demanded that the case be handed over to National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Speaking to reporters here, Achuthanandan said that the accused Fayas and Haris had links with terrorists and that efforts were on to sabotage investigation into the case as the duo had connections with top political leaders, including Central and state ministers.
The CPI(M) said Customs officials who took action against Fayaz had been either transferred from their posts or moved from the department.
Prime accused in the case, 38-year-old Fayaz, hails from Mahe, was arrested in Delhi last month while attempting to leave for Dubai.
Investigators claimed of coming across evidences that Fayaz had connections with political leaders, government officials and prominent cine personalities.
Customs officials reportedly seized pictures of Fayaz along with some prominent personalities from politics, cinema and top government officials, sources said.
Fayaz`s arrest came after the arrest of two women, suspected to be carriers when they attempted to smuggle 20kg of gold from Nedumbassery airport at Kochi on arrival from Dubai.
The case also raised eyebrows with alleged revelation by Fayaz that he had links with a former member of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s office, who was removed for his alleged connection with the Solar panel scam accused.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!