Achuthanandan demands to handover gold smuggling case to NIA
Thiruvananthapuram: Alleging that those arrested in connection with the recent gold smuggling case in Kerala had links with terrorists, Opposition leader and CPI(M) veteran VS Achuthanandan on Tuesday demanded that the case be handed over to National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Speaking to reporters here, Achuthanandan said that the accused Fayas and Haris had links with terrorists and that efforts were on to sabotage investigation into the case as the duo had connections with top political leaders, including Central and state ministers.
The CPI(M) said Customs officials who took action against Fayaz had been either transferred from their posts or moved from the department.
Prime accused in the case, 38-year-old Fayaz, hails from Mahe, was arrested in Delhi last month while attempting to leave for Dubai.
Investigators claimed of coming across evidences that Fayaz had connections with political leaders, government officials and prominent cine personalities.
Customs officials reportedly seized pictures of Fayaz along with some prominent personalities from politics, cinema and top government officials, sources said.
Fayaz`s arrest came after the arrest of two women, suspected to be carriers when they attempted to smuggle 20kg of gold from Nedumbassery airport at Kochi on arrival from Dubai.
The case also raised eyebrows with alleged revelation by Fayaz that he had links with a former member of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s office, who was removed for his alleged connection with the Solar panel scam accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing