Achuthanandan firm on anti-nuke plant stance
Thiruvananthapuram: Admitting that his views on the dangers of nuclear energy differed slightly from his party`s official line, CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan on Sunday said he firmly believed that no country had ever developed a foolproof method of nuclear waste disposal.
The questions and observations of the Supreme Court over the safety measures of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) reflected the people`s anxieties and concerns, he said at a seminar organised here by anti-nuke forum Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace (CNDP) here.
"The case of Kudankulam Nuclear plant is before the Supreme Court. Whatever be the final verdict, the apex court`s observations and repeated questions about the safety measures and disposal of nuclear waste reflected people`s anxieties and concerns," he said.
The octogenarian leader said though he had some differences with the party over KNPP issue, the CPI-M Central Committee itself later adopted a resolution stating that plant should be commissioned only after safety measures were implemented and sufficiently addressed people`s concerns.
The party also wanted the government to give up plans to turn Kudankulam into a nuclear park, he said.
Achuthanandan also hit out at the Tamil Nadu government for supporting the nuclear plant after deviating from its previous stand.
Former Chief of Naval Staff Admiral L Ramdas, political commentator Ninan Koshy and educationist RVG Menon were among those who spoke at the seminar.
The organisers said CNDP is a broad alliance of over 200 groups opposed to nuclear weapons and atomic power plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly