Achuthanandan firm on anti-nuke plant stance
Thiruvananthapuram: Admitting that his views on the dangers of nuclear energy differed slightly from his party`s official line, CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan on Sunday said he firmly believed that no country had ever developed a foolproof method of nuclear waste disposal.
The questions and observations of the Supreme Court over the safety measures of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) reflected the people`s anxieties and concerns, he said at a seminar organised here by anti-nuke forum Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace (CNDP) here.
"The case of Kudankulam Nuclear plant is before the Supreme Court. Whatever be the final verdict, the apex court`s observations and repeated questions about the safety measures and disposal of nuclear waste reflected people`s anxieties and concerns," he said.
The octogenarian leader said though he had some differences with the party over KNPP issue, the CPI-M Central Committee itself later adopted a resolution stating that plant should be commissioned only after safety measures were implemented and sufficiently addressed people`s concerns.
The party also wanted the government to give up plans to turn Kudankulam into a nuclear park, he said.
Achuthanandan also hit out at the Tamil Nadu government for supporting the nuclear plant after deviating from its previous stand.
Former Chief of Naval Staff Admiral L Ramdas, political commentator Ninan Koshy and educationist RVG Menon were among those who spoke at the seminar.
The organisers said CNDP is a broad alliance of over 200 groups opposed to nuclear weapons and atomic power plants.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you