Achuthanandan firm on anti-nuke plant stance
Thiruvananthapuram: Admitting that his views on the dangers of nuclear energy differed slightly from his party`s official line, CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan on Sunday said he firmly believed that no country had ever developed a foolproof method of nuclear waste disposal.
The questions and observations of the Supreme Court over the safety measures of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) reflected the people`s anxieties and concerns, he said at a seminar organised here by anti-nuke forum Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace (CNDP) here.
"The case of Kudankulam Nuclear plant is before the Supreme Court. Whatever be the final verdict, the apex court`s observations and repeated questions about the safety measures and disposal of nuclear waste reflected people`s anxieties and concerns," he said.
The octogenarian leader said though he had some differences with the party over KNPP issue, the CPI-M Central Committee itself later adopted a resolution stating that plant should be commissioned only after safety measures were implemented and sufficiently addressed people`s concerns.
The party also wanted the government to give up plans to turn Kudankulam into a nuclear park, he said.
Achuthanandan also hit out at the Tamil Nadu government for supporting the nuclear plant after deviating from its previous stand.
Former Chief of Naval Staff Admiral L Ramdas, political commentator Ninan Koshy and educationist RVG Menon were among those who spoke at the seminar.
The organisers said CNDP is a broad alliance of over 200 groups opposed to nuclear weapons and atomic power plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks