Achuthanandan firm on anti-nuke plant stance
Thiruvananthapuram: Admitting that his views on the dangers of nuclear energy differed slightly from his party`s official line, CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan on Sunday said he firmly believed that no country had ever developed a foolproof method of nuclear waste disposal.
The questions and observations of the Supreme Court over the safety measures of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP) reflected the people`s anxieties and concerns, he said at a seminar organised here by anti-nuke forum Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace (CNDP) here.
"The case of Kudankulam Nuclear plant is before the Supreme Court. Whatever be the final verdict, the apex court`s observations and repeated questions about the safety measures and disposal of nuclear waste reflected people`s anxieties and concerns," he said.
The octogenarian leader said though he had some differences with the party over KNPP issue, the CPI-M Central Committee itself later adopted a resolution stating that plant should be commissioned only after safety measures were implemented and sufficiently addressed people`s concerns.
The party also wanted the government to give up plans to turn Kudankulam into a nuclear park, he said.
Achuthanandan also hit out at the Tamil Nadu government for supporting the nuclear plant after deviating from its previous stand.
Former Chief of Naval Staff Admiral L Ramdas, political commentator Ninan Koshy and educationist RVG Menon were among those who spoke at the seminar.
The organisers said CNDP is a broad alliance of over 200 groups opposed to nuclear weapons and atomic power plants.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach