Achuthanandan scored on Endosulfan, admits KPCC
Kochi: Congress in Kerala on Saturday admitted
there had been `lapses` on dealing with the Endosulfan issue
on which Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan had campaigned
vigorously seeking a countrywide ban on the pesticide.
With the Stockholm Convention at Geneva adopting a
resolution to phase out the toxic pesticide,the KPCC executive
meeting held here felt that the Left could gain political
mileage out of the issue though it was Centre which "gave the
nod to the decision to ban the pesticide all over the world."
The KPCC admitted it could not put up a strong defence
against Achuthanandan`s campaign on the Endosulfan issue.
There had been "lapses" on the part of the Congress in
dealing with the matter, KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala
told reporters here.
"However, India has reached a consensus with other parties
concerned on the ban and a solution had been found to mitigate
the sufferings of people in our state," he said.
He said the UDF would discuss the complaints raised by K
Achuthan, candidate for Chittur in Palakkad, against Socialist
Janata-Democratic leader K Krishnan Kutty that he had worked
against Front candidates in the district.
Chennithala said Congress was capable of overcoming the
`false` camapigns being raised against the party after the
recent Assembly elections.
CPI-M-led LDF has been asking the Centre to ban Endosulfan
which had allegedly caused over 400 deaths and serious health
problems to 4,000 people in parts of Kasargode in north
Kerala, where the pesticide was sprayed in a state-run cashew
plantation. Endosulfan was banned in the state in 2005.
It had called a dawn-to-dusk hartal yesterday, demanding
countrywide ban on the pesticide coinciding with the final day
of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.
Achuthanandan, who has been spearheading the campaign
against Endosulfan for the last several years, hailed the
Geneva outcome and had said "the pesticide lobby had to
finally surrender before people`s movement."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know