Achuthanandan should quit as Opposition Leader: UD
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling Congress-led UDF on Tuesday demanded the resignation of V S Achuthanandan as the Leader of the Opposition in Kerala Assembly in view of the House committee`s findings that he had intervened in getting plum official posts for his son during his tenure as Chief Minister.
In a statement here, UDF Convener P P Thankachan claimed Achuthanandan had "no moral or lawful right" to continue in office as it had been proved that he was prima facie guilty on the issue.
He said the recent statements of Achuthanandan were not in keeping with the dignity of the position he held. "The words he used against Sindhu Joy, who joined Congress after leaving CPI-M last year, were shameful," he said.
Citing Achuthanandan`s earlier remarks against Congress President Sonia Gandhi and his opponent in the last assembly elections Lathika Subhash, Thankachan alleged he had made it a habit to tarnish women political leaders.
He claimed that Achuthanandan was "mentally disturbed" by the "proven charges" against his son as was evident from his recent outbursts.
"Achuthanandan should either quit as Opposition Leader on his own or the party leadership should remove him from the post," Thankachan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt