Achuthanandan should quit as Opposition Leader: UD
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling Congress-led UDF on Tuesday demanded the resignation of V S Achuthanandan as the Leader of the Opposition in Kerala Assembly in view of the House committee`s findings that he had intervened in getting plum official posts for his son during his tenure as Chief Minister.
In a statement here, UDF Convener P P Thankachan claimed Achuthanandan had "no moral or lawful right" to continue in office as it had been proved that he was prima facie guilty on the issue.
He said the recent statements of Achuthanandan were not in keeping with the dignity of the position he held. "The words he used against Sindhu Joy, who joined Congress after leaving CPI-M last year, were shameful," he said.
Citing Achuthanandan`s earlier remarks against Congress President Sonia Gandhi and his opponent in the last assembly elections Lathika Subhash, Thankachan alleged he had made it a habit to tarnish women political leaders.
He claimed that Achuthanandan was "mentally disturbed" by the "proven charges" against his son as was evident from his recent outbursts.
"Achuthanandan should either quit as Opposition Leader on his own or the party leadership should remove him from the post," Thankachan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report