Achuthanandan slams adoration of erstwhile princes
Thiruvananthapuram: After his controversial comment on the head of Travancore royal family, CPI (M) leader V S Achuthanandan has deplored the adoration of erstwhile princes and princesses six decades after Independence.
"Even politicians and ministers speak in a ceremonial language of respect and fear, when they address royal family members. This shows their slave mentality," he said.
He was addressing a seminar on `Democratic Kerala and treasures of the Padmanabhaswamy temple` organised by a local socio-cultural forum here last evening.
Even now there were politicians and ministers, who address the royal family members by such epithets like "your excellency" and "his highness", the 87-year-old leader said.
Achuthanandan had recently, sparked a row by stating he had received a complaint from a sacked temple employee alleging that the present head of Travancore royal family Uthradam Tirunal Marthanda Varma had attempted to smuggle out precious articles from the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple.
The former Kerala Chief Minister also said, he would approach the Supreme Court seeking a probe to verify the substance of the allegation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'