Achuthanandan to face case politically and legally
Alappuzha: CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan on Thursday said he would face legally and politically the Congress-led UDF government`s move to register a case against him for alleged irregularities in assigning land to one of his
relatives when he was chief minister.
Talking to reporters here, the opposition leader in the
Kerala Assembly charged the UDF government with using the
Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau to frame "false" cases
"People of the state know me well as I am in public life
for the past 40 to 50 years," Achuthanandan said reacting to
the Vigilance Bureau`s recommendation to register a case
against him and seven others for alleged irregularities in
assigning 2.33 acres to an ex-serviceman KP Soman at Sherny
village in Kasargode district during the previous LDF rule.
Achuthanandan alleged that State Industries Minister PK Kunhalikutty, Kerala Congress (B) leader R Balakrishna Pillai and suspended IG Tomin J Thachankary were also behind the move to register the case against him.
Denying the charge, State Revenue Minister and in-charge of Vigilance Department, Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said there was no political vendetta behind the move.
The Congress does not have a culture of using the Vigilance to unleash political vendetta against anybody, he added.
A vigilance probe had found fault in allotting the land and recommended registering a case against Achuthanandan and seven others, including former Revenue Minister KP Rajendran.
Official sources had said the cabinet had ordered a vigilance probe on June 1 last after it quashed the land assignment and transaction order. The land was assigned to Soman on June 10, 2010 and the order for relaxation in transaction was taken on February 2011, they said.
UDF had raised the matter in the run up to the assembly polls last year when it was in the opposition.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister