Achuthanandan to observe fast at Mullaperiyar
Idukki (Kerala): CPI(M) stalwart VS Achuthanandan
on Wednesday announced that he would observe a one day fast on
December 7 at Mullaperiyar to mobilise public opinion in
favour of Kerala`s demand for a new dam and urgent central
Top leaders of the ruling Congress-led UDF and Opposition
LDF today visited the dam site here and reiterated their fears
about the threat posed by 116-year-old structure to people
Though the teams of the rival coalitions visited the area
separately, they told reporters that there was no difference
between them on the core demand on the Mullaperiyar issue.
Achuthanandan, who led the LDF team, wanted Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to take a firm stand on the issue and bring
the chief ministers of two states for talks urgently.
Kerala PCC president Ramesh Chennithala, who headed the
UDF team, expressed the hope of early central initiative on
He told reporters that a report drawn up based on the
visit would be submitted to the Centre.
He termed as "unfortunate" the letter written by Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa accusing Kerala of whipping
up fear psychosis over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples