Achuthanandan to observe fast at Mullaperiyar
Idukki (Kerala): CPI(M) stalwart VS Achuthanandan
on Wednesday announced that he would observe a one day fast on
December 7 at Mullaperiyar to mobilise public opinion in
favour of Kerala`s demand for a new dam and urgent central
Top leaders of the ruling Congress-led UDF and Opposition
LDF today visited the dam site here and reiterated their fears
about the threat posed by 116-year-old structure to people
Though the teams of the rival coalitions visited the area
separately, they told reporters that there was no difference
between them on the core demand on the Mullaperiyar issue.
Achuthanandan, who led the LDF team, wanted Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to take a firm stand on the issue and bring
the chief ministers of two states for talks urgently.
Kerala PCC president Ramesh Chennithala, who headed the
UDF team, expressed the hope of early central initiative on
He told reporters that a report drawn up based on the
visit would be submitted to the Centre.
He termed as "unfortunate" the letter written by Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa accusing Kerala of whipping
up fear psychosis over the issue.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP