Achuthanandan trains gun on IUML
Thiruvananthapuram: Keeping the heat on the ruling UDF which is under attack over the solar panel scam, CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan on Wednesday trained his gun on the front`s second largest partner IUML, accusing it of functioning as a `parallel government` in the state.
Addressing a press conference here, he alleged a former gun-man of state Industries Minister and IUML leader PK Kunhalikutty was appointed as passport officer in Mallapuram and human trafficking and passport tampering happened under his patronage.
He also criticised the recent government circular on Muslim marriage age and contended that by reducing the age limit to 16 years, permission had been given for child marriage.
"It is a very serious matter that IUML functions as a parallel government," he added.
On solar panel scam, Achuthanadnan said with the government suspending Chief Minister Oomen Chandy`s former gunman Salim Raj for his alleged link with scam accused Saritha Nair, `charges of opposition are proving to be just and correct`.
To a question on the high court rejecting his petition seeking further investigation against Chandy in the palmolein import deal case, the CPIM leader said he would file an appeal in Supreme Court. `Definitely, I will move the Supreme Court against the high court order`.
Meanwhile, Chandy said Achuthanandan had every right to the apex court on the matter, but wanted to know from him why he kept quite on the issue when he was chief minister from 2006-10.
On the allegations against Kunhalikutty`s former private secretary, Chandy said `now the situation has reached such an extent that any allegation could be levelled against persons in position`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth