Achuthanandan wants further probe in palm oil case
New Delhi/Thiruvananthapuram: Veteran Kerala politician VS Achuthanandan has moved the Supreme Court seeking to quash the Kerala High Court`s decision in June this year giving a clean chit to CM Oommen Chandy, and demanding a further probe into the palm oil import case.
The high court had dismissed a petition filed by Achuthanandan and former bureaucrat and legislator KJ Alphonse, requesting cancellation of a Thrissur vigilance court`s verdict in May last year which accepted a report by a vigilance probe team giving a clean chit to Chandy.
In his petition filed on Saturday, Achuthanandan said that Chandy was the finance minister when the palm oil import case took place and hence further investigation into his role should be carried out.
Incidentally, Achuthanandan decided to file the petition at a time when the Chandy government last month decided to approach the Thrissur vigilance court asking for the withdrawal of the palm oil import case of 1992.
Achuthanandan`s new petition is likely aimed at thwarting Chandy`s attempts to withdraw the case because going by convention, no lower court will take up a case pending in the apex court.
The import of 15,000 tonnes of palm oil was undertaken in 1992. The case was registered in 1999 when the Communists led by EK Nayanar were in power.
Former chief minister K Karunakaran, then food minister TH Mustafa and bureaucrats PJ Thomas and Jiji Thompson were charged with causing a loss of Rs 2.32 crore to the exchequer by importing oil from Malaysia at an enhanced price.
The vigilance probe team early this year had concluded that Chandy had no role in the import of the palm oil even though he was the finance minister in the Karunakaran Cabinet at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India