Achuthanandan`s comment on royal head draws flak
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M veteran V S
Achuthanandan on Monday came under attack from political parties
and Hindu outfits in Kerala for his remark that the present
head of erstwhile Travancore royal family had tried to smuggle
out precious articles from Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple.
"As Leader of the opposition, he should have avoided such
a remark," Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said.
Slamming the Marxist leader, Information Minister K C
Joseph sought to know whether the CPI-M leadership also agreed
with Achuthanandan`s allegation that present royal head
Uthradam Tirunal Marthanda Varma had taken away precious
articles in vessels after worshipping at the shrine.
Law Minister and Kerala Congress (M) leader K M Mani said
it was most inappropriate for Achuthanandan to have made such
an insulting comment on the royal family without properly
verifying the facts.
"There is no justification for hurling unfounded charges
at the royal family members who have guarded the huge wealth
for generations," Mani said.
"The remarks made by Achuthanandan based on mere hearsay
is unbecoming of a senior politician holding the important
position of the Leader of the Opposition in the state," Nair
Service Society, general secretary G Sukumaran Nair said.
The state unit of BJP, Shiv Sena and Yoga Keshema Sabha
also took strong objection to Achuthanandan`s remarks.
The Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple Employees Union wanted
him to reveal the source of the information based on which he
made the allegation.
Marthanda Varma has refused to react to the allegation,
but said he would respond to it at an appropriate time.
The former Kerala chief minister had told reporters on
Saturday that Marathanda Varma was playing a "double role" by
portraying himself to be the protector of the temple wealth
while he had attempted to take out the wealth and media should
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended