Achuthanandan`s plea for CBI probe: HC to decide on Mar 25
Kochi: Kerala High Court will take a decision on March 25 on whether or not to list in the coming week the PIL filed by veteran CPI(M) leader VS Achuthanandan, seeking CBI probe into allegedly sabotage of probe into a sex scandal case.
A division bench comprising chief justice Manjula Chellur and justice K Vinod Chandran expressed their inability to hear the PIL early. Advocate General KP Dandapani also informed his reservations.
However, the petitioner`s counsel insisted for early hearing on the ground that proceedings were pending before the magistrate court at Kozhikode and so an early hearing was needed.
The counsel stated that copies of the documents received from the magistrate court showed the investigation was not proper and hence an early hearing was required.
The court then directed to post the case on Monday to decide whether an early hearing was required or not.
Achuthanandan had approached the high court seeking a CBI probe into a case registered on the basis of claims by a relative of state minister PK Kunhalikutty that he had tried to influence witnesses in the ice cream parlour sex scandal. The matter is pending before a division bench headed by chief justice Manjula Chellur.
He filed a memo two days ago requesting a posting of the case on March 25 as the senior counsel from Delhi has been engaged for appearing in the high court.
The sex scandal had rocked Kerala in the late 1990s when it came to light that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was being used to lure women into prostitution.
There were allegations about Kunhalikutty`s involvement in the case, but he did not figure as accused in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'