Achuthanandan`s plea for CBI probe: HC to decide on Mar 25
Kochi: Kerala High Court will take a decision on March 25 on whether or not to list in the coming week the PIL filed by veteran CPI(M) leader VS Achuthanandan, seeking CBI probe into allegedly sabotage of probe into a sex scandal case.
A division bench comprising chief justice Manjula Chellur and justice K Vinod Chandran expressed their inability to hear the PIL early. Advocate General KP Dandapani also informed his reservations.
However, the petitioner`s counsel insisted for early hearing on the ground that proceedings were pending before the magistrate court at Kozhikode and so an early hearing was needed.
The counsel stated that copies of the documents received from the magistrate court showed the investigation was not proper and hence an early hearing was required.
The court then directed to post the case on Monday to decide whether an early hearing was required or not.
Achuthanandan had approached the high court seeking a CBI probe into a case registered on the basis of claims by a relative of state minister PK Kunhalikutty that he had tried to influence witnesses in the ice cream parlour sex scandal. The matter is pending before a division bench headed by chief justice Manjula Chellur.
He filed a memo two days ago requesting a posting of the case on March 25 as the senior counsel from Delhi has been engaged for appearing in the high court.
The sex scandal had rocked Kerala in the late 1990s when it came to light that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was being used to lure women into prostitution.
There were allegations about Kunhalikutty`s involvement in the case, but he did not figure as accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader