Achuthanandan`s plea for CBI probe: HC to decide on Mar 25
Kochi: Kerala High Court will take a decision on March 25 on whether or not to list in the coming week the PIL filed by veteran CPI(M) leader VS Achuthanandan, seeking CBI probe into allegedly sabotage of probe into a sex scandal case.
A division bench comprising chief justice Manjula Chellur and justice K Vinod Chandran expressed their inability to hear the PIL early. Advocate General KP Dandapani also informed his reservations.
However, the petitioner`s counsel insisted for early hearing on the ground that proceedings were pending before the magistrate court at Kozhikode and so an early hearing was needed.
The counsel stated that copies of the documents received from the magistrate court showed the investigation was not proper and hence an early hearing was required.
The court then directed to post the case on Monday to decide whether an early hearing was required or not.
Achuthanandan had approached the high court seeking a CBI probe into a case registered on the basis of claims by a relative of state minister PK Kunhalikutty that he had tried to influence witnesses in the ice cream parlour sex scandal. The matter is pending before a division bench headed by chief justice Manjula Chellur.
He filed a memo two days ago requesting a posting of the case on March 25 as the senior counsel from Delhi has been engaged for appearing in the high court.
The sex scandal had rocked Kerala in the late 1990s when it came to light that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was being used to lure women into prostitution.
There were allegations about Kunhalikutty`s involvement in the case, but he did not figure as accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015