Activist fasting for new dam in Idukki arrested
Idukki: An activist, fasting near here
for the past five days, demanding a new dam to replace
Mullaperiyar, was arrested and removed after his health
condition deteriorated, police said today.
The activist belonging to Mullaperiyar Samrakshna Samiti,
C P Roy, was admitted to the ICU of a private hospital after
he was arrested from the fasting spot at Chappath near
Mullaperiyar late last night.
He was demanding construction of a new dam in place of
the 116-year-old structure over which Kerala is locked in
dispute with Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, rumours that CPI MLA E S Bijimol, also on fast
for the last five days, would soon be arrested, created
tension in the area.
A group of supporters converged near the fasting pandal
and said they would resist if the police sought to move her to
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing