Activist fasting for new dam in Idukki arrested
Idukki: An activist, fasting near here
for the past five days, demanding a new dam to replace
Mullaperiyar, was arrested and removed after his health
condition deteriorated, police said today.
The activist belonging to Mullaperiyar Samrakshna Samiti,
C P Roy, was admitted to the ICU of a private hospital after
he was arrested from the fasting spot at Chappath near
Mullaperiyar late last night.
He was demanding construction of a new dam in place of
the 116-year-old structure over which Kerala is locked in
dispute with Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, rumours that CPI MLA E S Bijimol, also on fast
for the last five days, would soon be arrested, created
tension in the area.
A group of supporters converged near the fasting pandal
and said they would resist if the police sought to move her to
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand