Activist fasting for new dam in Idukki arrested
Idukki: An activist, fasting near here
for the past five days, demanding a new dam to replace
Mullaperiyar, was arrested and removed after his health
condition deteriorated, police said today.
The activist belonging to Mullaperiyar Samrakshna Samiti,
C P Roy, was admitted to the ICU of a private hospital after
he was arrested from the fasting spot at Chappath near
Mullaperiyar late last night.
He was demanding construction of a new dam in place of
the 116-year-old structure over which Kerala is locked in
dispute with Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, rumours that CPI MLA E S Bijimol, also on fast
for the last five days, would soon be arrested, created
tension in the area.
A group of supporters converged near the fasting pandal
and said they would resist if the police sought to move her to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman