AG to represent Govt in Italian vessel case
New Delhi: Government on Monday decided make the Attorney General represent it in the Supreme Court in the case involving detention of an Italian ship after a law officer`s remarks in the apex court last week drew ire from Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy.
GE Vahanvati has been asked to represent the Centre`s case before the apex court instead of Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval, sources in the Law Ministry said here.
Raval had told a bench that he had doubts whether Kerala Police had jurisdiction over the Italian ship as it was in international waters when two of its marines had shot dead two Kerala fishermen allegedly mistaking them for pirates.
In a fax message to Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday, Chandy wanted to know under what circumstances Raval had submitted in the Supreme Court that India has no jurisdiction to detain the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie`.
Chandy wanted the Centre to engage the Attorney General in the case in place of Raval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!