AG to represent Govt in Italian vessel case
New Delhi: Government on Monday decided make the Attorney General represent it in the Supreme Court in the case involving detention of an Italian ship after a law officer`s remarks in the apex court last week drew ire from Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy.
GE Vahanvati has been asked to represent the Centre`s case before the apex court instead of Additional Solicitor General Harin Raval, sources in the Law Ministry said here.
Raval had told a bench that he had doubts whether Kerala Police had jurisdiction over the Italian ship as it was in international waters when two of its marines had shot dead two Kerala fishermen allegedly mistaking them for pirates.
In a fax message to Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Saturday, Chandy wanted to know under what circumstances Raval had submitted in the Supreme Court that India has no jurisdiction to detain the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie`.
Chandy wanted the Centre to engage the Attorney General in the case in place of Raval.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof