Alert issued across Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government on Wednesday
issued an alert across the state, particularly for the coastal
belt, as most parts of the state experienced mild tremor in
in the wake of a massive earthquake in Indonesia triggering
fears of a tsunami.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, however, said there was no
need for panic though the alert was issued just for the people
and the authorities to maintain vigil.
Going by the reports received by the government by
agencies like IMD, possibility of a tsunami could not be
totally ruled out and people had been asked to keep a watch
over the situation, Chandy told reporters after a cabinet
Chandy said as per IMD repsort, even if the tsunami
strikes it would not be as intense as the one that had hit the
state in 2004. Fishermen had been asked not to venture into
sea for another four hours, Chandy said.
The dam sites and in the state were also under observation
as there had been reports of waves having occurred in some
of the reservoirs.
People in various parts of Kerala, including the state
capital and Kochi, experienced mild tremors in the wake of the
In Kochi, panic prevailed for a while as people came out
of offices and highrise buildings. However, no damage to
buildings or other properties was reported from anywhere in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery