Alert issued across Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government on Wednesday
issued an alert across the state, particularly for the coastal
belt, as most parts of the state experienced mild tremor in
in the wake of a massive earthquake in Indonesia triggering
fears of a tsunami.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, however, said there was no
need for panic though the alert was issued just for the people
and the authorities to maintain vigil.
Going by the reports received by the government by
agencies like IMD, possibility of a tsunami could not be
totally ruled out and people had been asked to keep a watch
over the situation, Chandy told reporters after a cabinet
Chandy said as per IMD repsort, even if the tsunami
strikes it would not be as intense as the one that had hit the
state in 2004. Fishermen had been asked not to venture into
sea for another four hours, Chandy said.
The dam sites and in the state were also under observation
as there had been reports of waves having occurred in some
of the reservoirs.
People in various parts of Kerala, including the state
capital and Kochi, experienced mild tremors in the wake of the
In Kochi, panic prevailed for a while as people came out
of offices and highrise buildings. However, no damage to
buildings or other properties was reported from anywhere in
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH