Another boat tragedy strikes Kerala 35 days after days after Thekkady
Thiruvananthapuram: Just when Kerala was coming to terms with the Thekkady boat tragedy in which 45 people died, the state witnessed another boat mishap Wednesday evening when eight students died after their vessel capsized, officials said Thursday.
The incident occurred in Areekode village in Malappuram district, about 400 km from here.
The students were returning home from school in the boat which ferried them from one bank of the river to the opposite side.
State Revenue Minister K.P. Rajendran Thursday asked all the 14 district collectors in the state to immediately prepare a report on the ferry services operating in the state.
This tragedy came 35 days after the boat accident in the Thekkaday lake in which 45 tourists drowned.
Even though the state government`s police probe has led to the arrest of six people in the Thekkady case, the six are currently out on bail and no concrete action to identify the `real culprit` of the tragedy has taken place because the boat belongs to the state-owned Kerala Tourism Development Corporation.
Retired Supreme Court Justice K.T. Thomas told IANS: "We have seen many similar tragedies and quite a few judicial reports."
"The need of the hour is that the state government should immediately conduct a study by a team of navigation experts on the various forms of water transport. Once that is done, the onus would be on the state government to see that the experts` opinion is implemented in letter and spirit to ensure that accidents due to negligence do not happen," said Thomas.
A former village council president, on the condition of anonymity, told IANS that it is the cumbersome rules of the Panchayati Raj Act that prevent steps being taken especially when it comes to operating ferries.
"Technically speaking, it is the transport department and other government departments that are authorized to look into ferry service operations. But the village council does this job as a matter of its responsibility to the people. Hence utilization of funds for this becomes a problem and that is one reason why ferry service operations do not get proper attention," said the former official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared