Another case of "Arabi Kalyanam" in Kerala
Kozhikode: In yet another case of forcing minor Muslim girls into wedlock with Arab nationals in Kerala, a 17-year-old girl has approached Child Welfare Committee alleging that the orphanage authorities, where she had been staying, forced her to marry a man from Saudi Arabia.
In her complaint to the committee on Friday, the girl had alleged that the orphanage authorities "pressurised" her to marry the man, who deserted her after honeymooning for 17 days and returned to his country.
The Child Welfare Committee Chairman in Malappuram, Sherrief Ullath said according to the girl the marriage took place on June 13.
The orphanage authorities forced her to marry the Saudi national against her wishes.
The Child Welfare Committee authorities said they had forwarded the girl`s complaint to the police, who has registered cases under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act-2006, the Juvenile Justice Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the orphanage P P Mohammed Ali denied the allegations by the girl and claimed that the marriage was solemnised with the consent of both the families, for which he has the records.
She had been staying in the orphanage for the last 13 years after her father abandoned the family, Ali said.
Many such cases have been reported in the state in the past also.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM