Another case of "Arabi Kalyanam" in Kerala
Kozhikode: In yet another case of forcing minor Muslim girls into wedlock with Arab nationals in Kerala, a 17-year-old girl has approached Child Welfare Committee alleging that the orphanage authorities, where she had been staying, forced her to marry a man from Saudi Arabia.
In her complaint to the committee on Friday, the girl had alleged that the orphanage authorities "pressurised" her to marry the man, who deserted her after honeymooning for 17 days and returned to his country.
The Child Welfare Committee Chairman in Malappuram, Sherrief Ullath said according to the girl the marriage took place on June 13.
The orphanage authorities forced her to marry the Saudi national against her wishes.
The Child Welfare Committee authorities said they had forwarded the girl`s complaint to the police, who has registered cases under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act-2006, the Juvenile Justice Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the orphanage P P Mohammed Ali denied the allegations by the girl and claimed that the marriage was solemnised with the consent of both the families, for which he has the records.
She had been staying in the orphanage for the last 13 years after her father abandoned the family, Ali said.
Many such cases have been reported in the state in the past also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder