Another case of "Arabi Kalyanam" in Kerala
Kozhikode: In yet another case of forcing minor Muslim girls into wedlock with Arab nationals in Kerala, a 17-year-old girl has approached Child Welfare Committee alleging that the orphanage authorities, where she had been staying, forced her to marry a man from Saudi Arabia.
In her complaint to the committee on Friday, the girl had alleged that the orphanage authorities "pressurised" her to marry the man, who deserted her after honeymooning for 17 days and returned to his country.
The Child Welfare Committee Chairman in Malappuram, Sherrief Ullath said according to the girl the marriage took place on June 13.
The orphanage authorities forced her to marry the Saudi national against her wishes.
The Child Welfare Committee authorities said they had forwarded the girl`s complaint to the police, who has registered cases under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act-2006, the Juvenile Justice Act and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the orphanage P P Mohammed Ali denied the allegations by the girl and claimed that the marriage was solemnised with the consent of both the families, for which he has the records.
She had been staying in the orphanage for the last 13 years after her father abandoned the family, Ali said.
Many such cases have been reported in the state in the past also.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof