Appoint Thomas public prosecutor, says Suryanelli sex scandal victim’s mother
Thiruvananthapuram: The mother of the victim of the infamous Suryanelli sex scandal Monday demanded that Kerala government appoint Suresh Babu Thomas as the public prosecutor when the case comes up in the state high court.
The victim`s family also requested that C.S. Ajayan be appointed the additional public prosecutor in the case, in which the family has accused Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien of sexually exploiting the girl.
She met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy along with some women leaders of the Communist Party of India-Marxist and asked in writing that the state government should appoint Thomas as the special public prosecutor but expressed doubt that Chandy will entertain her request.
"In the past, we had put up requests but nothing happened from his side. So, in this request that we put up today (Monday), I have doubt if it would be accepted," her mother said.
"Anyway, we have done what we have to do," the victim`s mother told reporters here.
Incidentally, it was Thomas who appeared for the victim at the trial court and hence her family has been demanding that the state government appoint Thomas when the case shortly comes up in the high court.
The sex scandal took place at Suryanelli in Idukki district January 1996 when the then 16-year-old was threatened, abducted and abused by a bus conductor and was later confined and sexually assaulted for 45 days by 42 men.
The case was back in the spotlight after the Supreme Court ordered a re-trial in the case Jan 31 while setting aside the 2005 acquittal by the Kerala High Court of all but one of the 35 accused convicted by a special court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!