Appointments of Kerala AG, DG challenged in HC
Kochi: Two PILs were today filed in the Kerala High Court challenging the appointments of Advocate General K P Dandapani and Director General of Prosecutions
(DGP) Asaf Ali.
A division bench, comprising Chief Justice J Chelemeswar and Justice P R Ramachandra Menon, ordered issue of notices to the central and state governments and to the AG
to decide whether the petition is to be admitted.
The notices were issued on the quo warranto petition filed by advocate Madhusoodan Nair of Kochi contending that Dandapani was not eligible to be appointed as AG as he had
resigned after being appointed as judge of the Kerala High Court following his transfer to Gujarat High Court in 1996.
According to the petitioner, a person who is qualified to be appointed as judge alone can be appointed as AG. As present AG had refused to join as judge of Gujarat High Court,
he ceased to be a judge, the petitioner stated.
Another PIL challenging the appointment of Asaf Ali as state Prosecutor and Director General of Prosecutions came up for consideration of the same bench.
The court directed the government to produce Ali`s appointment order by July 14.
The order was issued on the petition by advocate E A Thankappan who contended that Ali was ineligible to be appointed to the post as he was not a practising lawyer of the
Ali was practising in lower courts in Thalassery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA