Appointments of Kerala AG, DG challenged in HC
Kochi: Two PILs were today filed in the Kerala High Court challenging the appointments of Advocate General K P Dandapani and Director General of Prosecutions
(DGP) Asaf Ali.
A division bench, comprising Chief Justice J Chelemeswar and Justice P R Ramachandra Menon, ordered issue of notices to the central and state governments and to the AG
to decide whether the petition is to be admitted.
The notices were issued on the quo warranto petition filed by advocate Madhusoodan Nair of Kochi contending that Dandapani was not eligible to be appointed as AG as he had
resigned after being appointed as judge of the Kerala High Court following his transfer to Gujarat High Court in 1996.
According to the petitioner, a person who is qualified to be appointed as judge alone can be appointed as AG. As present AG had refused to join as judge of Gujarat High Court,
he ceased to be a judge, the petitioner stated.
Another PIL challenging the appointment of Asaf Ali as state Prosecutor and Director General of Prosecutions came up for consideration of the same bench.
The court directed the government to produce Ali`s appointment order by July 14.
The order was issued on the petition by advocate E A Thankappan who contended that Ali was ineligible to be appointed to the post as he was not a practising lawyer of the
Ali was practising in lower courts in Thalassery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed