Art festival to boost Kerala`s economy
Kochi: The upcoming Kochi-Muziris Biennale 2012, an international exhibition of contemporary art and a cultural extravaganza, would also make robust business sense for Kerala and the local economy, industry sources said Friday.
Organisers expect a record eight lakh visitors at the three-month event that begins here Dec 12.
"The history of recent biennales across the world proves this. A biennale is not only about demystifying contemporary art but also about forging a huge commercial engagement," said Shwetal Patel, executive officer at the Kochi Biennale Foundation, the organiser of the event.
Kochi-Muziris Biennale has been billed as the largest and most sophisticated international art festival showcasing artwork since 1895, being held in the country for the first time.
The event is the only destination in India mentioned in the "13 Cultural Events To Be Seen" by Forbes Magazine.
The exhibition will see 88 artists from over 35 countries, including 40 from India, exhibiting artwork created from a variety of mediums.
Last year`s nine-week long Singapore Biennale had nine lakhs visitors. In 2010, Gwangju Biennale in South Korea had close to five lakh visitors in nine weeks.
Liverpool Biennale in 2010 attracted more than six lakh people, generating an economic impact of 27 million pounds.
Jose Dominic, who runs the Casino Group of Hotels in Kerala, said this would give Kerala the image of a happening place of new art, as much or even more than the backwaters and ayurveda-driven wellness the state is known for.
"The event is going to be a perfect example of commerce riding piggyback on art and culture. I expect a tremendous surge in the local economy as well as of Kerala," said Dominic.
According to the World Tourism Organisation, cultural tourism accounts for 37 per cent of world travel (26.5 crore international trips in 2003) and is growing at a rate of 15 per cent per year.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next