Attempt to trigger communal tension decried in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling CPI-M led LDF and
Opposition UDF in Kerala Assembly Thursday decried distribution
of a book having references which recently hurt religious
sentiments of Muslims in the state.
Stating that government viewed it seriously, Law Minister
M Vijakumar said five persons, including a pastor, had been
taken into custody in connection with the incident that
occurred in Pathanamthitta.
Both the sides termed the incident as an attempt to
create communal tension in the state.
Police pickets have been deployed in the area to avoid
any untoward incidents, Vijayakumar said replying on behalf of
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan.
More than 90 copies of the book and a car, in which they
were brought, had been seized. Police would also arrest the
publisher of the book, Vijayakumar said replying to a
submission of P M A Salam (INL).
Salam said nearly 200 copies of the book with remarks
hurting the religious sentiments of Muslims were distributed
by a group during a funeral ceremony at Chugapara in
Communal tension prevailed in the area over the issue, he
said while demanding the arrest of the book`s publisher and
Opposition leader Oommen Chandy said such attempts should
be dealt with strongly at the beginning itself.
The government should also hold talks with the concerned
people to avoid any incidents over the issue, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi