Attempt to trigger communal tension decried in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling CPI-M led LDF and
Opposition UDF in Kerala Assembly Thursday decried distribution
of a book having references which recently hurt religious
sentiments of Muslims in the state.
Stating that government viewed it seriously, Law Minister
M Vijakumar said five persons, including a pastor, had been
taken into custody in connection with the incident that
occurred in Pathanamthitta.
Both the sides termed the incident as an attempt to
create communal tension in the state.
Police pickets have been deployed in the area to avoid
any untoward incidents, Vijayakumar said replying on behalf of
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan.
More than 90 copies of the book and a car, in which they
were brought, had been seized. Police would also arrest the
publisher of the book, Vijayakumar said replying to a
submission of P M A Salam (INL).
Salam said nearly 200 copies of the book with remarks
hurting the religious sentiments of Muslims were distributed
by a group during a funeral ceremony at Chugapara in
Communal tension prevailed in the area over the issue, he
said while demanding the arrest of the book`s publisher and
Opposition leader Oommen Chandy said such attempts should
be dealt with strongly at the beginning itself.
The government should also hold talks with the concerned
people to avoid any incidents over the issue, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users