Attempt to trigger communal tension decried in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Ruling CPI-M led LDF and
Opposition UDF in Kerala Assembly Thursday decried distribution
of a book having references which recently hurt religious
sentiments of Muslims in the state.
Stating that government viewed it seriously, Law Minister
M Vijakumar said five persons, including a pastor, had been
taken into custody in connection with the incident that
occurred in Pathanamthitta.
Both the sides termed the incident as an attempt to
create communal tension in the state.
Police pickets have been deployed in the area to avoid
any untoward incidents, Vijayakumar said replying on behalf of
Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan.
More than 90 copies of the book and a car, in which they
were brought, had been seized. Police would also arrest the
publisher of the book, Vijayakumar said replying to a
submission of P M A Salam (INL).
Salam said nearly 200 copies of the book with remarks
hurting the religious sentiments of Muslims were distributed
by a group during a funeral ceremony at Chugapara in
Communal tension prevailed in the area over the issue, he
said while demanding the arrest of the book`s publisher and
Opposition leader Oommen Chandy said such attempts should
be dealt with strongly at the beginning itself.
The government should also hold talks with the concerned
people to avoid any incidents over the issue, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India