Attempts on to sabotage Land reforms legislation: Karat
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday alleged that attempts were on in the country to sabotage land reforms legislation under the cover of industrial requirements.
"An attempt is on by the Centre and state governments to sabotage land reforms by handing over agriculture lands to corporates and such monopolies should be resisted," he said.
Kerala, West Bengal and Tripura were the only three states where land reforms had been implemented and this was mainly due to the governments run by Left parties, Karat said.
He was speaking after inaugurating a campaign rally as part of the Land right agitation planned by CPI-M in Kerala from January 1.
The CPI(M) leader lambasted the Congress led UDF government in the state, saying it was trying to weaken the land reform act in the state with its decision to allow five per cent of Plantation land for other purposes.
`The decision will have serious adverse consequences. With this government decision, nearly 1000 acres would reach the hands of real estate groups," he alleged.
In Kerala, land was scarce, but the number of landless people were more, he said.
The possibility of poor landless people getting land would become difficult with government`s new land policy, he said.
Karat also urged people to oppose UDF government`s move to dilute the legislation for protection and conservation of water bodies and paddy fields brought by the previous LDF government.
The UDF government planned to bring amendments to allow conversion and filling of paddy fields, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!