Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Monday struck a double blow to the CPI-M by dismissing bail pleas of party legislator TV Rajesh and jailed Kannur district party secretary P Jayarajan, in the murder of Indian Union Muslim League worker Abdul Shukoor.
The high court`s denial of anticipatory bail to Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator Rajesh paves the way for his arrest for an alleged involvement in the murder of Shukoor, who was killed February this year.
The court also denied bail to Kannur district party secretary P Jayarajan, who is in judicial custody for his alleged involvement in the murder. He was arrested Aug 1.
Jayarajan`s counsel Aug 4 moved a bail plea at the Kannur chief judicial magistrate court and when it was rejected, he moved the high court, which too rejected it Monday.
Soon after Jayarajan`s arrest, Rajesh sensing arrest moved the high court for anticipatory bail. But he court denied it too.
More than two dozen people belonging to the CPI-M and its affiliates have been arrested in the murder of the 21-year-old Shukoor.
Shukoor was allegedly murdered in retaliation for an attack by suspected Muslim League workers on Jayarajan and CPI-M leader TV Rajesh.
The Indian Union Muslim League is the second biggest constituent of the ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front.
Reacting to the court ruling, former health minister and CPI-M central committee member PK Sreemathi said that one is baffled by the way things are shaping up because there is no evidence to link Jayarajan in this case. "This is cruel," said Sreemathi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know