Ban on netting savala fish in Kerala
Kanyakumari: Alarmed by the steep depletion in population of young savala (ribbon) fish off this coast, the fisheries department has ordered a ban on its fishing.
Fisheries department officials the order had been issued Under Tamil Nadu Marine Fishing Regulatory Act, 1983 and that fishermen had been warned against using banned fishing nets to net these fish.
Fishermen association President James said the order had been received by all fishermen associations as well as to churches from Arockiapuram to Periakadu.
Department officials said mechanised boat fishermen from Chinnamuttam use banned nets to snare the young ones and that hundreds of such fish are killed during the season.
The fishermen use trawl nets to net LepturoCanthus Savala and Trichurus Lepturus fish varities found off this coast.Both varieties are export-variety fish. More than 60 per cent of them is exported. While the fish could grow upto 800 or 900 mm, they were netted when they measure just 20 to 25 MM.
Officials said if the young fish are netted on such a large scale, it would lead to extinction of the species.
Ribbon fish were available abundantly till a decade ago.
Officials said young savalas decay faster and cause foul smell and hygiene problem in areas surrounding the fishing harbour.
A Antony Xavier, Assistant Director, Fisheries(in charge)at Chinnamuttam said "The ban comes into effect from Mar 15.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says