Biblical gopher tree stands tall in Kerala forest
Thiruvananthapuram: Found only in some parts of the world is gopher tree, which Biblical patriarch Noah used to make the famous ark on God`s command to survive the great deluge.
But one such is still standing robust in the forest in the Periyar Tiger Reserve (PTR) in Kerala.
Botanists have confirmed that at least a single gopher is standing there on the fringes of a forest path between Kochu Pamba and Gavi in Pathanamthitta district.
The Bible (Genesis 6:15) says, Noah, as ordered by Lord, made the ark out of gopher wood on which he and his kin and some of earth`s fauna outlived the great flood that submerged the planet.
According to King James` Bible, God told Noah: "make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark; and shall pitch it within and without pitch."
The tree standing at Gavi forest is of robust stem and lush foliage.
According to state Forest Department officials, though the fully-grown gopher in Gavi is the only such tree sighted in the periphery of the jungle, possibly there could be more such trees still surviving in the inner forests of PTR.
Though it is a rare tree, the Forest Department has refrained from marking it as special by putting a sign board, fearing that would attract forest brigands.
"The tree, which is identified as `gopher`, is known as `Nirampalli` in local parlance.
Its belongs to the `tropical conifer` family of trees, Abdul Basheer, Manager, Kerala Forest Development Corporation, said.
"We have not fixed any name-board on as we fear that it might prompt the wood smugglers to cut it and sell as it could fetch a big price on account of its Biblical association," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees