Bill to set up tribunal on damage caused by Coke plant
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala cabinet on Wednesday
approved a draft bill for setting up a tribunal for making
available compensation and relief for the people of
Plachimada in Palakkad district where the functioning of
Coca-Cola company`s plant had allegedly caused huge
Briefing reporters after a cabinet meeting, Chief
Minister V S Achuthanandan said the government would try to
present the bill in the ongoing budget session of the assembly
The bill was drafted by the Water Resources department
based on the recommendations of the high power committee
headed by Additional Chief Secretary K Jayakumar which had put
the loss due to environmental degradation caused by the
Plachimada Coke plant at Rs 216.16 crore.
The committee submitted its report on March 22 last year.
However, there was delay in drafting the bill reportedly due
to opposition from the Industries department which differed
with the assessment of the Jayakumar committee, quantification
of the damage and the recommendation to set up a tribunal.
The committee had assessed the losses suffered by the
people of Plachimada based on the evidence of depletion and
pollution of groundwater in the area caused by the Coca-Cola
company to secure compensaton for the victims on the `polluter
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents