Bombs recovered from tomb in Kannur
Kannur: Bombs were recovered from the tomb of a BJP worker at Muzhappilangad beach near here, police said.
Police suspect that the bombs were kept there to ward off political rivals from vandalising the tomb.
Acting on a tip off, a police team searched the tomb Sooraj, who was killed in 2005 allegedly by CPI-M workers, and found three steel bombs yesterday.
The bombs were defused. According to police sources, there was strong ground to believe that the placing of the bomb in tombs was a strategy to pre-empt destruction of
memorials by political rivals of the victims.
This particular tomb itself was destroyed earlier and was rebuilt by BJP workers.
Scores of BJP-RSS and CPI-M workers have been killed in political violence in sensitive pockets of Kannur district over the last three decades.
However, in the last few years, there has been a lull in clashes with both sides exercising restraint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!