Breather for Chandy as court stays controversial references
Kochi: Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Tuesday got a breather after a Kerala High Court division bench stayed two controversial references by a single division bench against him last week.
On March 28, a division bench of the high court headed by Justice Haroon Rashid, ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into an alleged land deal involving Salim Raj, a former gunman of Chandy.
The court also said the chief minister was duty bound to explain to the people why he did not apply his mind when selecting his personal staff.
The opposition Left has gone hammer and tongs against Chandy, demanding that he resign.
On Monday, advocate general KP Dandapani, representing the government, filed an appeal in the division bench of Justice KM Joseph.
On Tuesday morning, the division bench heard Dandapani who said it was most unfortunate that the single bench made this adverse remark, without even hearing Chandy.
In the afternoon, the division bench stayed these two references but added that the CBI probe should go on. Incidentally it was Chandy himself who had asked that the alleged land deal involving his former gunman be handed over to the CBI.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report