Breather for Chandy as court stays controversial references
Kochi: Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Tuesday got a breather after a Kerala High Court division bench stayed two controversial references by a single division bench against him last week.
On March 28, a division bench of the high court headed by Justice Haroon Rashid, ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into an alleged land deal involving Salim Raj, a former gunman of Chandy.
The court also said the chief minister was duty bound to explain to the people why he did not apply his mind when selecting his personal staff.
The opposition Left has gone hammer and tongs against Chandy, demanding that he resign.
On Monday, advocate general KP Dandapani, representing the government, filed an appeal in the division bench of Justice KM Joseph.
On Tuesday morning, the division bench heard Dandapani who said it was most unfortunate that the single bench made this adverse remark, without even hearing Chandy.
In the afternoon, the division bench stayed these two references but added that the CBI probe should go on. Incidentally it was Chandy himself who had asked that the alleged land deal involving his former gunman be handed over to the CBI.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees